Here's my 500

Maestro, SEI-V
ringer

Here's my 500

Post by ringer »

Recently bought my first Morini. Here's a pic:

It's a 79 model and it's grey. I was after a late model in red, but you can't have everything can you? Someone has fitted very high handlebars - great for round town, but not so good on the open road. It has been off the road for the last 8 years. Speedo and last six MOTs say mileage is 18k but judging by the state of the clutch innards and the amount of red hermatite on the gaskets it is much longer in the tooth. The starter motor works!

Things needed doing first:
Move lights/indicator switches to within the clutch lever - indicating was a bit of a stretch!
Bleed front brakes
Adjust front brakes
Got it to run evenly - is better than when bought it but airbox/carburation/timing still needs more attention
Parking light was not working
Top up low cells in battery
Moved LH silencer mounting bracket to outside of frame so rear brake would operate

Put it in for MOT yesterday - sailed through thank god

Things to be done:

Oil leak at base of front cyclinder
Oil leak at seal behind clutch
One clutch stud spinning - aaaargh, I need to remove it to get to the seal
Balance the carbs properly
Check the timing
Get all lights working on instruments - currently only oil pressure & High beam indicators working
Fit some pillion footrests
Replace a clutch cover screw that has been burred (just found out the front two screws should be shorter)
Repaint in red - though the grey is growing on me
Find and fit a tool tray
Find and fit new sidepanel locating rubbers
Refit seat cover - currently is too loose
Source a new airbox - current one has tape all round it
Find and fit sidestand

I'm sure there are other things that will crop up, but that little lot should keep me busy for the time being.

Nick
Last edited by ringer on 21 Aug 2008 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Get new keys cut as spares
Fit LED side light
Get those idiot lights fixed,I have to glue my bulb holders into the instruments or they fall out over the bumps.
Check resistance across green wire from generator.
Replace oil in starter motor and make sure chain is not overly stretched (mine was)
Marvel when you finally get that clutch apart,I don't envy you with this one.
Enjoy the grey colour, not every Italian bike has to be red.Lots of things were grey after all, Desert Orchid,the Graf Spey etc....
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Grey ones are quite rare, if you let me know the reg I may be able to find some history. Remember Snr Lambertini loves that colour - London grey.
ringer

Post by ringer »

I must admit, the colour is growing on me. Is London Grey the official name of the colour?

The reg is CRJ 718T frame/engine no. W03244
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Looks lovely. Out of interest, Lambertini called the grey used in the original 500 "London Grey".... He was really proud of the 500!

If you're after originality there needs to be two pin stripes around the tank and a Strega witch transfer on the rear cowl. Dave Marlow, the MRC club librarian can provide copies of brochures etc if this is what turns you on. But the main thing is to get out and ride it! :)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Emmohaswheelsagain

Morini 500

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Nick,

If you can try and keep the bike standard, red is good (I owned one for 8 years back in the 80s) but to help you along the path of restoration I can send you a brochure which I've had from when the model was launched. It just happens to show the grey version with technical specifications which should give you a reliable point of reference. If you send me a private message detailing your address I will mail it to you. At the recent AGM it was disappointing that we had no examples of the 500. Great bike, good for touring both on your own and two up.

Paul
Motofrog

Post by Motofrog »

Congratulations. The picture brings back many happy memories and some not so good. Of one of the best looking bikes I have ever owned. Do keep the elegant grey. After all the alternative is a brash red!! Best of luck with your new toy. :)