1980 500W first time project introduction

Maestro, SEI-V
park3164

1980 500W first time project introduction

Post by park3164 »

Hi all,
It's time I stopped lurking so much and introduced my first project bike, which will join my 350 K2 as a second Morini for me to ride. I am the process of working with a semiretired classic motorcycle engineer on restoring a 1980 500W fondly called the "red rust heap" up till now. Frame has been powder coated, rims currently off being refinished and awaiting tyres, front end partly refurbished (steering head bearings,forks and instruments overhauled), swing arm bearings replaced and replacement set of shock absorbers rebuilt. Engine work to commence in the coming weeks and months, so I likely will have much to ask.
I had been quite fortunate with my K2 as it needed only mild recomissioning. This 500 appears to have suffered some neglect when stored and will have engine issues.The shock absorbers it came with looked didnt even clear the chain guard and looked like a random pair put on just to sell the bike. Plus a cheapo frame respray at some stage, hence surface frame rust to a fair degree. I didnt pay top dollar to purchase the bike tho, and not many Morini come up for sale here.
The oil was sludge, and compression way down on front (90) compared to 120 rear. But it could turn over, and ran briefly extremely badly after an oil change and carb clean before it was stripped. And one saving grace was it was pretty much intact with little missing (apart from having ancient K and N filters instead of an airbox which I have since acquired). Before stripdown and current state photos are below. The engineer I am using has done Ducati bevel, british classics and historic race bikes (and Ferrari cars years ago) but it is his first Morini. Not a lot of choice here downunder for Morini restorers, and he lives handily nearby.
So the serious fun will begin soon, and I will apologise in advance for some beginner questions which I may post as we go. I expect there will be some horrors to find.
Cheers,
Fiona
Sydney, Australia
1986 K2 350
1980 500W
Attachments
P1030876_001.JPG
P1030876_001.JPG (127.02 KiB) Viewed 9072 times
P1030401 at the start at Lou's august 2019_001.JPG
P1030401 at the start at Lou's august 2019_001.JPG (119.96 KiB) Viewed 9072 times
rossguzzi

Re: 1980 500W first time project introduction

Post by rossguzzi »

Nice to see another ozzie getting a Morini back on the road.
Cheers.
stradella

Post by stradella »

You have made pretty good progress so far and your engineer must be more than qualified to handle the rest. The bike could be a private import, from the US? (reflectors on indicator sides). I think 500s of that vintage might have had one (one only) coat of paint on the frame (and perhaps the mudguards too) so that could explain the rust.
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Looks like you are well on your way, my 1978 took me two years to finally sort out and I took my first spin on it this past weekend. I did replace the original ignition with a Sasche unit and Dyna coils, glad I did (write up in Projects section).

stradella

Post by stradella »

Canuck750 - what did you think of the ride (on that very nice bike)?
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

stradella wrote:Canuck750 - what did you think of the ride (on that very nice bike)?
It is a nice, light handling bike, I have other 70's Italian bikes, Ducati 860GT, Laverda SF1, Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado and others and the Moto Morini is quiet, smooth and very easy to ride. It is not a fast bike but the lightweight makes for a sweet handling bike. It also fits me just right, 5'-9" and at 60 years of age I find it tp be a comfortable ride. Brakes are very good, seat is comfortable and the slightly raised bars are a nice fit.

I just went out for another ride today and I think the charging system is not working as it should, when I came back home, shut the bike off and then tried the electric starter it would barley turn over, battery drained down to 11.2 volts. I had a friend solder in some new charging coils on the stator and I suspect they were not connected properly or the voltage regulator is not working. I have ordered a new solid state voltage regulator from Bevel Heaven in the USA and will fit that first. After an hour the bike felt like it was cutting out intermittently under load, like it is starving for fuel but I think its ignition. I rechecked the timing with a strobe at 4000 rpm and the advance mark was off, I reset the Sasche ignition pick up by advancing a few degrees and that seems to have helped.

The previous owner fitted home made rear sets that lack the correct geometry to make for smooth shifting, unfortunately all the original frame mounted rod cross over lugs were cut off before I got the bike so I could not fit the original shift and brake pedal linkages. The home made rear sets are well made but the angles and distances of the shift linkage are wrong.

I am looking for a new or used set of rear sets for my 500W that will hopefully solve the shift issues. If anyone has a lea on where I can get a set please let me know (I emailed Madina Italy, their web page says they have none in stock).

I found these ones in the USA - stated for Moto Morin 500 - 1984 = is the 500 frame the same regardless of year?
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/13-0036

If anyone has pictures of the Tarozzi rear sets mounted onto a 500 I would sure appreciate seeing how they mount, my bike has a left hand mounted master cylinder and the shift is now on the right
stradella

Post by stradella »

There was at least one change to the frame during the production of the 500, but that one change that I am aware of was to the front frame tubes. On your frame the front tubes pretty much follow a straight line from the steering head down to below the front engine mounts where they then bend back to go under the engine. It was probably the last 500 (1984 - 85 - 86?) when the front tubes were made with a bend backwards, about half way down, that brought the tubes in closer to the engine; the front engine mounts on those frames are shorter than on previous 500s. I would be very surprised if there was any change to the frame in the area of the swing arm/footpeg mounts - but don't hold me to account on that.

When I clink on the link to the rear sets it seems to just say 'kit pedane Morini 500' without specifying a year.

(Like you say, someone has put a lot of effort and thought into the rear sets on your bike.)

Another edit: I just did a search on 'rear sets'; see the thread '1978 500 Morini project' started by habilis on 4 Sept 2019
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Thanks for the information, sorry for hijacking this thread, now back to the original post...
park3164

Post by park3164 »

No worries re the sidetrack Canuck750. I'll be happy if this project ends up looking even half as good as your 500. I like your flatter handlebars compared to the higher version on mine. Which bars are they? Yes, it is a US import that ended up down here.
And Hi rossguzzi, love your Camel by the way. You should bring it 5000km to the east coast sometime!
At present I am cleaning the tank, yep more rust, and awaiting the next shipment of Avon tyres, due maybe next month..... Then wheel bearings and brakes to be tackled. WD 40 has been brillant for the dash lights, looked like new after half hour scrubbing each one with a nail brush and toothbrush in front of late nite tellie. Dash lights before and after below. Note the original dash rust and curly instrument needles, now all cleaned up and sorted.
The old fella has some useful household tips, and I supply lots of elbow grease. He has started asking a few technical questions but so far the manuals have had the answers. I'm sure we will need rely on the collective wisdom at times as work proceeds though, TIA.
Attachments
P1030659_001.JPG
P1030659_001.JPG (22.61 KiB) Viewed 8861 times
P1030639_001.JPG
P1030639_001.JPG (48.08 KiB) Viewed 8861 times
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

park3164 wrote: I like your flatter handlebars compared to the higher version on mine. Which bars are they? .
I got them from NLM on the recommendation of Stuart, he told me they were as close to stock as he had at the time
park3164

Post by park3164 »

It is time I added an update on the "Red Rust Heap "500 progress, as the engine work has finally begun and I may be begging for sources for some parts. Disclaimer here - I am quite a novice mechanic, so am relying on what I am seeing and being told by the guy doing the work. I will really appreciate any guidance and comments -TIA to kind folk on this forum.
The barrels are off and crankcases cases are stripped, ready to split next week, but quite a bit of swearing was needed I'm told. Someone who has bodged a few things in the past has had the rear barrel off past but not the front and at least the crankcases have not been split before.
The bad points so far
: all the rings on both pistons have broken, as well as a sliver of piston between 2 of the rings. Light scoring of the barrels but they have been pronounced as likely quite salvageable with a rebore. Gudgeon pins are extremely tight, and I'm told the piston rings may have broken because the end gaps looked too small? It seems very curious, as the front barrel looked like it may not have been removed since the factory. Any other thoughts on all the rings cracking? The barrel wear suggests to Lou the bike had only been ridden at low revs ie lugged a lot.
Anyway that explains the clouds of smoke and lack of compression on being run breifly before stripdown. At first look there isn't any obvious cracking in the heads between the valves, but this is before the heads and valve gear have been cleaned up and looked at closely.
: and more rust, quite rusty flywheel was pretty seized on the shaft so needed swearing and in the end a bit of heat with trepidation to remove. And of course the clutch nuts were rusted severely onto the clutch studs and wouldn't come off without the studs starting to turn. Presoaking or heating the clutch nuts as per other forum threads was tried unsuccessfully, so the nuts were drilled into pieces and finally removed from the studs. I am hoping the flywheel will still be useable, and will need some clutch studs obtained or remade. Clutch region had oil in it from a leaking seal, which was not unexpected. The bike has the nylon not metal clutch thrust washer, and reasonably intact Surflex plates yet to be inspected closely. Stator will need rewinding and has had some "poling issues". Ignition pole in particular looks very sad.
The shopping list starts ........... but at least the rest of the engine stripdown didnt throw up other issues on first glance. Closer inspection and measuring up is still to come though. I shall await what lies inside once the cases are split though, seeing as there may be some shrapnel from the broken rings and piston. The oil change when I first received the bike didn't show metal, just sludge so maybe not too much shrapnel got there - we shall see in the next instalment of this saga.

Fiona, Sydney ('86 K2 350, "80 500W)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Nice to hear you're progressing with the 500W.
Hate to sidetrack but I always fancied a W650 as in the pics above. How do they compare when ridden, to the A10 it was inspired by? I like A10s too...
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
park3164

Post by park3164 »

I''l have to ask about the ride comparison.The W650 is another customer's bike so I won't be riding it. But I have heard it running :)

Fiona
Ming

Post by Ming »

park3164 wrote: 04 Jul 2021 00:06 I''l have to ask about the ride comparison.The W650 is another customer's bike so I won't be riding it. But I have heard it running . Fiona
I rode a W650 for a short time about 20 years ago, but never got one. A much nicer bike than the modern Bonneville IMO, and much sought after (and pricey) over here now.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Fiona,
that flywheel shaft sounds a real piece of work!!

From reading some old ATGs, I believe that swearing in English will get the job done but be careful, it is possible to overswear and then you'll have to start again.
There were some dedicated factory swears floating around in the classifieds - if you wanted to keep it original - but I expect they're long gone now. After so many years dormant, originality on your 500 probably isn't so much of an issue. I know other Aussie owners have used local swears which, as you'll know, are some of the most effective in the world.
Nice to see the progress.
Cheers, Dom
MRC 3082½