Starting... Carbs and Things..

Maestro, SEI-V
ortonpaddy

Starting... Carbs and Things..

Post by ortonpaddy »

Hi, I want to get my 500 Morini up and running again, I originally took it of the road a couple of months ago with a view to sorting some bits (damaged woodruff slot, minor oil leek) and also due to a fear of Italian electrics meeting British Winter.!! So I got myself a winter "hack"... don't laugh... a Jawa (I thought I asked you not to laugh!!) and then promptly did none of the jobs on the morini....

Well the JAWA although it does have an agricultural charm of sorts (ever the optimist!!) really does not cut the mustard and I am missing the Morini so I need to get it off SORN and back where she belongs, however it won't start...

It was a pain to start at times before I SORN'd it often require a push and would never start with the choke on - in fact it would cut out even when cold if the choke was applied.

So before I start on a fault finding mission, I wondered if anyone had any idea what could be have been wrong with the choke, whether people feel this is the most likely culprit for it not starting now and if anyone has a list of likely other culprits before I venture out in the cold and dark and start my mission... Thanks Patrick
boris tarpit

Post by boris tarpit »

Hi Patrick, don't complain about running a Jawa until you've been reduced to riding a chinese monkey bike. . . . . .

Re. the Morini, it sounds like the rubber on the end of the choke plunger has gone hard alowing fuel past so the choke is effectively part on all the time. . or it may have the pilot jet enlarged either by careless cleaning with a bit of wire or maybe it's been changed. . . . .other than that difficult starting could be down to the ignition either the source coil in the stator on it's way out or the flywheel needs remagnetising. The technical section of this site gives detail on how to cgheck the stator and transducers. . .. . . . Hope this helps. . .

}<{("<~
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
ortonpaddy

Post by ortonpaddy »

That helps a lot, thanks...

I have got a couple of carb gasket sets and I guess that said rubber should be included as part of them so I will try replacing them first.... and if that fails I will have a look at the pilot jets... I will let you know the result!