saschse ignition curve setting??

Maestro, SEI-V
joseb42

saschse ignition curve setting??

Post by joseb42 »

Ok so 350/500 max advance is 30/34degrees I believe. For my 478 I am trying to determine which setting to use from my new Saschse ignition, none of which gives 30 degrees max.
apparently 350 best curve ie # 5 gives 34 degrees max advance. No surprise there.
Adjusting for 500 curve # 3 has been recomended by Sasche but has max advance of 32 degrees. Is 2 degrees advance beyond recommended going to do any damage?
Tried using curve 1, much softer, way too retarded and engine overheated massively.
Any 500 owners out there with the Saschse ignition please advise me as to which gives best results for them? ( on standard static timing )
lemans

Re: saschse ignition curve setting??

Post by lemans »

I post this movie from another topic.
https://swf-ignitionsystems.nl/wp-conte ... G_7465.mov

the bike is at the Startrick teststand for adjusting needles and jets.
we also did some research on the best ignitionsettings. As the SWF is fully programmable, (whatever curve, ignition advance, max rpm) by laptop this was easy to do. First we had the carburettors fully sorted out, then varied the curve.

my 500 does run happily on 34 drg advance though 36 is clearly the limit. Settled for 31~32 and using it as the daily transport.
To see if any damage is done will be difficult. It is not practical to inspect the piston crown/valves every 1000 miles. especially as damage is an exponential curve. (see jag XK 2.6 inline 6 engine)
the best solution would be some sort of pressuretransducer in the cylinderhead to obtain a indicatordiagram. but not yet available.

I don't believe that an advance of 2 drg above the recommended OEM-setting will be disastrous. not guaranteed.

regards Anne
penman

Post by penman »

Hi there,

I'm not yet in a position to offer any advice, having just fitted the Sachse unit yesterday and since the bike is missing some important parts (wheels) I haven't ridden it. However setting the timing was an interesting exercise! I must say though that I very much doubt if a few degrees extra advance will be damaging so long as it isn't enough to cause "pinking".

After the usual period of fiddling about with the pick-up rotor, to get max advance exactly on the timing mark, I homed in on curves 3 and 5. Impossible to make a proper assessment without riding the bike, but it idles better on curve 5, suggesting that this engine likes a bit of advance even at a few hundred rpm.

Going back to the original question though, so long as you set it to stop advancing when the "ANT" mark is in line with the camshaft, it won't be running with excessive advance and if the advance curve is starting a bit earlier than standard, my observation so far is that it benefits the idling. I'm also struck by how easily it starts with this ignition system. Anyway, I'll get back to servicing the bike and then I can do some road testing. At the moment, my money's on curve 5, but we'll see!

Regards,
Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
Kmac

Post by Kmac »

I found position 3 works well on my 500.
Regards Keefe