CAMBELTS

Maestro, SEI-V
Coxey

CAMBELTS

Post by Coxey »

:!: Cambelt needs replacing :!:

I could buy the pukka 'A' belt for £35 or I could get an alternative non original belt for £6. The problem being that they only come in one standard non A B or C size.

Obviously being prudent, the thought of the cheaper non original is appealing.

My question is - Is there anything to worry about by choosing the more cost effective solutuion :?:
buzby

Post by buzby »

I asked this question some time ago on the 3 1/2 forum,so far nobody has suggested that there will be any problem using the pattern belts. :) cheers, Dave.
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Knowing that the cambelt lasts for 3 years or 20 000 km, the saving of buying the cheap one is 10£ per year, or .15£ per 100km.

I wouldn't take the risk...

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

I looked in to this and apparantly the pattern belts are size 'B'.
If your bike needs an 'A' or 'C' belt then you could be in trouble as the belts are either slightly thicker or thinner [or it could be wider or narrower - something like that!] possibly leading to bearing strain.
Either way I think that seeing as my bike needs an 'A' I'll plump for the original :lol:

cambelts

Post by Jem »

if you've found a supplier of genuine A/B/C belts good luck! Who are they?

When I last tried to buy cambelts both NLM & Herdan only offered one-size pattern parts. The best pattern seems to be Goodyear which you ought to be able to get for £10-15; some pattern belts are thinner than others and should be avoided.

One of the problems with belts is that no-one seems able to say which of A & C is the smaller pulley/tighter belt. Larger pulleys could be polished back to an average size but smaller pulleys sem to be hopeless.