Nlm ignition system

Maestro, SEI-V
Davidgale

Nlm ignition system

Post by Davidgale »

Hi there is the nlm ignition system a reliable alternative to the standard ignition system fitted to the 500 morini 1980 vintage
Steve Brown

Re: Nlm ignition system

Post by Steve Brown »

I would say yes it is. The pick up part of the set is the only complicated bit to get right. It needs very close tolerance clearance that is almost impossible to measure. I had the full set on my 350 Sport for a long time and it was never a moments trouble. Then I swapped it to my 500 Camel and I never did get the pick up to work again. The CDI part and it's coils are still fine now, 5 years later on my Camel. The NLM CDI and coils will work happily with the original Ducati pick up as they were designed to be interchangeable.
Sadly, Alex the man who designed the system is no longer with us and as far as I know he was the only person able to make the pick up part viable.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Davidgale

Post by Davidgale »

Thanks for that information Steve. I have both systems and didn't no whether to stick with original fitted or try nlms it looks a bit heath Robinson to me
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes, the pick up does look a bit shakey. To be fair it was fine if you could set it up properly. I was lucky in that Alex set it up for me when I bought it, he had a home made but effective rig to test run the ignition systems, standard or otherwise.
Like I said the CDI part works fine still today and I can't remember how long ago it was bought! I'm sure the sparks are stronger using the NLM CDI than with the original transducers but that may vary depending on which transducers you compare it to. I suppose even the last type of originals are now pretty old and may have started to degrade, coils breaking down etc and the coils with the NLM kit are newer and still produced.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Steve Brown wrote: 26 Feb 2024 15:01 Yes, the pick up does look a bit shakey. To be fair it was fine if you could set it up properly. I was lucky in that Alex set it up for me when I bought it, he had a home made but effective rig to test run the ignition systems, standard or otherwise.
Like I said the CDI part works fine still today and I can't remember how long ago it was bought! I'm sure the sparks are stronger using the NLM CDI than with the original transducers but that may vary depending on which transducers you compare it to. I suppose even the last type of originals are now pretty old and may have started to degrade, coils breaking down etc and the coils with the NLM kit are newer and still produced.
My experience with the NLM system is the same. I did get the special pickup working after a fashion but not very well. With a red type II pickup I had the system on two machines. One with a very original module and the small round two pin 'scooter' coils which you can get easily. The other with later module and larger XV250 type coil units recommended by NLM later. Still got the original + scooter coil system on the wee vee. I run that with Iridium plugs and resistor caps and (crosses fingers) it still starts well. The proof of the pudding will be when I attempt to stir it from its winter slumbers.
Davidgale

Post by Davidgale »

Thanks for your help and advice mutch appreciated