Electric starter woe

Maestro, SEI-V
bigred

Electric starter woe

Post by bigred »

Took bike for first run this year. Just a 30 mile trip mixture of dual carriage way and b roads.
Tried to start bike and it took a lot of turning over on the starter. Bike got better and better especially on the way back on the dual carriageway at average 70mph.
When the bike stopped it wouldnt start on the electric start again. Just a click heard from the starter relay but no turn over of the starter. Luckily started first time on kickstart.
Battery good and when start button pressed voltage appeared on the cable to starter motor.
I suspect the brushes. I have had this beforeand the brushes were stuck in the holders. This time I think its worn brushes.
Luckily Mdina are doing replacement sets so set on its way. part num M460608 or 46.06.08
Two sets left now if anyone needs some.
bigred

Re: Electric starter woe

Post by bigred »

Stripped motor before parts arrive. Everything looked ok. Sprayed GT85 over the brushes and copper armature.
Re-assembled and tested on a spare battery and motor spun up fine.
Fitted everything back on bike and the starter now works at treat!!
I am none the wiser as to why the starter stopped working after a ride.
Did notice lots of aluminium furing where the aluminium cap fits to the steel body of the motor .
I cleaned all that up and sprayed with PTFE before re-assembly. Maybe a poor grounding in the motor?
The joys of the morini electric start. :D
3potjohn

Re: Electric starter woe

Post by 3potjohn »

That is a good result and far better than having to push a Trident with a thrown rod from the Stratton bypass to Broome Manor Lane.
I have had the starter relay weld on once. A deft kick stopped that.