leaded or unleaded

Maestro, SEI-V
dougi

leaded or unleaded

Post by dougi »

hi all :D
can anyone tell me if a standard SEI-V 500 needs leaded fuel ie 4 star ? i now there is lead deplacement fuel it petrol staitions, but not all have it.
if it does, which old 500 morini does not need leaded fuel ?.
thanks dougi.
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Hi Dougi,

There different thoughts about it. Morini's have not been designed to run on unleaded, but several riders of the club do it for years without any problem.

The only problem you might have with unleaded is a quick wear of the valves seats (normally, the lead is protecting them). How quick this will happen might depend on your riding style. Obviously, if you're regularly revving high, the stress on the seats will be higher, resulting in a quicker wear. Anyway, we don't talk about a catastrophic failure, but well about a progressive wear that might reduce the play between rocker and valve over the time.

SEI-V are not highly stressed engines (501 are a different story), so that the probability to face the problem is not that high. Buying lead replacement fuel systematically is usually not necessary. There are two ways you can follow to be sure to avoid problems. The first one, if you use unleaded, is to regularly (every 500 miles in the beginning) check the free play at the valves. If it does not reduce significantly, then you can go on safely. If you notice an abnormal reduction, then it is better to use lead replacement fuel or alternatively to buy lead replacement stuff. A small can is good for thousands of miles.

If, like me, you're too lazy to check the play or if you sometimes trash the bike, the second way is to regularly use the lead replacement stuff. I don't worry if I forget it from time to time, but I make sure to have it when I'm going to Cadwell.

Hope it helps you...

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel