Headstock bearings

Maestro, SEI-V
Weeelp

Headstock bearings

Post by Weeelp »

Hi all,
My headraces are shot, -I changed the ballbearings in the vain hope that a couple of quid and an hours work would do but it didn't..
I've just spoken to NLM and they don't have any taper roller jobs, nore seem to have ever had any. The price for a set of cup style bearings is over £100 which seens just plain barmy.
I don't suppose anyone here has any info on a taper roller alternative as you can get them from a bearing shop for about £20; -leaving me £80 to spend on beer. Which I like.
Thanks
Weeelp
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

I have a Kanguro that uses taper rollers as standard. If you can get a set of cups from a Kanguro they should tap into your frame in place of the standard cups then you just need to match up some taper roller bearings. The Kanguro cups take a taper roller cup with a 52mm diameter. You need to measure the bearing face on the fork stem, on the Kanguro this is 26mm. Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Weeelp

Post by Weeelp »

Thanks Robin;
Update is good news! I spoke to InMoto's Roberto (Very helpful fella) and Stuart at NLM and found that the grease used by MotoMorini goes so hard it can turn into little lumps of iron. They also told me how to get another life from the cone set: -apparently you can turn them though 180 degrees as the majority of the wear is on the rear of the shell. (ie tank end)
I took it all apart again, and wiped the residue from the cones with spirit. There was some incredibly hard grease on the shell. I also turned it around and Bob's your uncle it's all A-OK.
Chuffed to bits.
Only think is now one of the transducers has blown up! -Typical. I'm back on the busses until I can find another. -Could be some time as NLM and InMoto are out of luck.
Oh the joy of riding a Morini. :roll:
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Glad you managed to fix the headstock, but bad luck on the transducer. I am still building my Kanguro, at least I knew the engine ran ok before I stripped it down. I will only be happy once riding it by carry a spare transducer and pickup, as you are finding spares are rare.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'