Kanguro carbs and airbox modification.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Cosmo

Kanguro carbs and airbox modification.

Post by Cosmo »

'It must be a .....' wrote:It is quite easy to fit the large tank on the earlier square tube frame Kanguro by fabricating a front mount (bolt on or welded), yet fitting the small tank on the later frame requires the removal of the welded on front mount (the smaller tank's mounts simply bolt on) and finding a new location for the larger battery, There are no issues with the air box etc.
Sorry but I have no experience of the initial round tube Kanguros X/X1 but I think the air box is the same?
Hope this helps, have fun

This is a note from an old thread "X3 carbs", but other owners may be interested in what I've done with my X1.
My missus has a 3 1/2 strada, and when ridden back to back, despite the lower gearing my recently acquired X1 felt a bit "flat" even after a full service.
I wondered why - given the engines are much the same and the carbs and needles are similar. On doing some research, it seems all the Kanguro, Dart and some of the Excalibur models run much smaller main jets as http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/carb.html

I thought about fitting k&n filters & rejetting as the other bike, but given the planned mudplugging duties decided against. I fitted 112 strada mains, but it was HORRIBLE & wouldn't rev at all, so clearly over jetted. As the Strada airbox is actually smaller in volume, logic told me something was up. I found this:

http://www.compton.vispa.com/morini/dartmods.htm

It is clear from the pictures that the Dart. Excalibur and Kanguro all use the same "tube" airbox design.
Once the "flower pot" is removed as shown in the link, the bike can be set up as a 3 1/2 Strada. I didn't modify the inlet tubes, just whipped out the flower pot. Wow, way more get up and go, the flat feeling has gone and it's much more lively.
As the airbox is under the tank, I don't think there's much reduction in air cleaning as the standard filter is retained and this is an easy fully reversible modification to liberate a few more ponies. :D
Cosmo
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada & 350 Kanguro special
dickyminty

Re: Kanguro carbs and airbox modification.

Post by dickyminty »

Many thanks for this information Cosmo. I have a Kanguro X2 I've just recommissioned and, like you, I find it a little flat compared to my old 3 1/2 Sport. I'd like to try this airbox mod but would I have to change all the other jets, slides, needles etc to Strada spec, as well as the main jet for it to carburate properly at the lower rev range as well as the top end? Or could you just compensate by adjusting the pilot mixture screw and perhaps needle height? Thanks again, Richard
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

If I remember rightly it's just the main jet you need to change.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

dickyminty wrote:Many thanks for this information Cosmo. I have a Kanguro X2 I've just recommissioned and, like you, I find it a little flat compared to my old 3 1/2 Sport. I'd like to try this airbox mod but would I have to change all the other jets, slides, needles etc to Strada spec, as well as the main jet for it to carburate properly at the lower rev range as well as the top end? Or could you just compensate by adjusting the pilot mixture screw and perhaps needle height? Thanks again, Richard
Nope Richard,
You won't need to go that far.
If you look up the carb spec. for a Dellorto VHBZ 25HS on the Dutch club weblink in my post, the needle, pilot and slide are all EXACTLY the same as the 1979 onwards road models that use the same later carb. Even the needle and clip setting is the same!
I just popped out the 90 mains and fitted 112's. After that just set the bike up as a Strada. Set the airscrew to "best running" on a "back to basics" basis and you won't go far wrong. then go as the per the manual with the vacuum gauges.
I think the slow running is the pretty much same as the road bikes, so the carb settings are very similar. It is just at full chat open throttle settings and air screw when the main jet takes over that is the difference. The modded airbox then allows the engine to burn the extra fuel properly.
It did make a fair bit of difference, I was surprised how much. :D
Cosmo
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada & 350 Kanguro special
dickyminty

Post by dickyminty »

Fantastic, thanks Cosmo.