Kanguro X, Paioli rear shock.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Derek Wright

Kanguro X, Paioli rear shock.

Post by Derek Wright »

Does anyone have any info on the Paioli rear shock as fitted to an '82 Kanguro model X.
- Quantity of oil needed to re- fill the shock.
- Does the remote chamber have be filled also.
- The bottom mounting bush is a rose type spherical bush, the top bush being the normal steel sleeve/ bonded rubber type. The bottom spherical bush, all metal type is worn out, have been unable to source one of these - anyone know where I can get one - 25mm OD, 10 mm ID (12 ID would also do) 20 mm long.
Or, would the rubber bonded type do - might have to use one of these if I can not get a spherical type.
- Is a internal seal kit available. The shock has no reference on it, just the Paioli name, it is 395 mm long, measured between top and bottom eyes when assembled.
I have made a spring compressor and got the spring off ( available if anyone wants to borrow it) but can not see how the internals are dismantled, There is a large hex nut which comes off ok but can not see where to go from here.
The condition does not seem to bad and damping is improving as oil is added but would like to know how much to add.
Hope there is some info out there, if not I will just have a go via the trial and error method.
I have been trawling through old copies of the Morini club mags reading Ken Philps' exploits on his Kanguro, he mentions problems with the rear shock but have not yet found any repair info.
Cheers, Derek
julianharty

Re: Kanguro X, Paioli rear shock.

Post by julianharty »

Derek,
9 years on, I'm in a similar position where I'd like to cleanup an existing Paoli rear shock. I'd appreciate any tips you can provide on how you improved yours.
Thank you
Julian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

julianharty wrote:Derek,
9 years on, I'm in a similar position where I'd like to cleanup an existing Paoli rear shock. I'd appreciate any tips you can provide on how you improved yours.
Thank you
Julian
Derek lives near me, I'll try and chase him up on this. It was his old X that I recently bought and the shock is still working on that so his repair was obviously a success.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Steve, thank you very much. Good to know his repair was effective and lives on.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

julianharty wrote:Steve, thank you very much. Good to know his repair was effective and lives on.
Hi Julian, no problem. I got a message back from Derek. He didn't actually do anything with the damper unit in the end-he couldn't find any info or spares for it and even Paioli suspension people couldn't help. He just replaced the spherical bearing with a rubber bush and that's what's in there now.

Julian, was it you I sent the black pick-ups to? I can't remember where they went! Not in any rush for it but trying to keep tabs on what went where! :D
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Steve,
Thanks for the update, and yes you did send me a pair of black pickups to try in my Kanguro X project. I think you mentioned one was believed good and the other might work. I've reached the stage where I have a clean shiny rolling chassis and the engine has been partly stripped and cleaned. I'm soon going to sort out the stator (to make it 12v only) and then reassemble the right and left sides of the engine and then actually try out the engine and the pickups. I've a pair of new transducers from Italy (bought a couple of years ago) so should be able to test the pickups fairly easily once the engine's together and the ignition wired up.
Ciao

Julian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

That's OK then, memory not totally gone! I had to borrow the pick up from my X yesterday to do a bit of testing. All sorted for now and Sport back on the road. Now the roads are flooded and/or covered in grime washed off the fields...so trail bikes it is then.