Musings over moving a Camel 501 to Carlisle.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Re: Musings over moving a Camel 501 to Carlisle.

Post by 3potjohn »

Hi-no but went to see it. It looks very nice.I reckon I'd be arrested, to quote the phrase, if i had it.And I'd have to sell both beemers to create the space/raise the cash etc etc. Excuses excuses excuses..........
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

No respite from the rain, for any of us I think.
Good job I bought a bike as near to a boat as is possible.

John, faint heart and all that........

Have managed to drain the fuel off, remove the seat unit, which reveals to me that the side panels are plastic. So the cracks will be mended with GRP, smoothed and painted with 2K. It's very noticeable that the plastic is warped from the heat of the pipes. The paint code for the red is .... Had a look on the Lechler paint codes but the nearest I can find is Rosso'82 or code MOR 3A. I'll go to the paint shop and take the side panel with me to match with their swatches.
Next thing to do is remove the tank, a lift off job almost, by the looks of it, to see what other joys there is in a Camel.

There is a device under the seat which has pipes from the back of the engine, top of the rocker boxes running to it. This is I presume an emissions trap that recycles to the carbs, gasses from the engine. A lot more accessible than the device on the old Honda.

Whilst trawling the net looking for items of info on the Camel, I came across it's previous, previous owner, a person in Scotland, not far from me. So all this bull about 'Show me the way to go home' is just that.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi George,

The X3 front brake has a standard braided hose (well, it looks like it) so you could look for one them. There was a 501 X3 camel.

Just returned from the Black Forest on the Kanguro, the B500 is a must do road.

When I say returned, I have but the bike is near Dover, waiting for a tow truck. The drive chain snapped on the M20 last night.....

I recommend this road....

Me after riding the B500!

Mike.
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Thoroughly agree Mike!! I did the Black Forest High Road a few years ago and it is superb.

Shame I didn't know you were coming through Dover as I could have offered you a cuppa on the way back - not to mention a chain repair.

Are you interested in the menagerie trip to the German Treffen next year? It would be cool for a black and a white X3 to arrive in convoy!

John.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Mmmmmmmmm! Handsome bike Mike?
That looks like you had some fun, been there but not on a bike, so haven't really been then. Everyone for the 2013 Treffen then?
I'll post to see if anyone has a braided hose from an X3. Thanks for the tip.

Stripped off the Petcock, cleaned it with a small wire brush, put it back together with a jubilee clip on the hose, no leak. 1 down others to go.

The body panels are all damaged in some way except for one of the black front grill things that seem not to be necessary.
Is it still possible to get the decals for the Camel?
sides.jpg
sides.jpg (90.29 KiB) Viewed 19753 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

John,

Thanks, but the chain had completely gone, if you are travelling between Ashford and Maidstone would you pick it up please as it only has 1000 miles on it. Bike arrived home this afternoon so I'll see what damage has been done to the crankcases.

Defo for Germany, love the place...

George, Try NLM for the stickers. I believe they had some X3 ones made....

Mike.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Well the CB750's have both left the stable, so now I can get on with the Camel.
Received the brake hose from John, so have ordered new banjo bolts as the pipe that's on at the moment does not appear to be the correct one, direct feed into the master cylinder.

Removed the number plate and underneath is a sticker for Personal Cycle Services, Daytona Beach. Looked them up on the Web and they are still there!
So the Camel really used to bask in sun.

Has anybody changed the main lights for modern ones? The reason being, I'm wondering if it is possible to fit a larger 12volt battery when I change from 6 to 12 volts. Can the system cope with the current of a larger battery, charging wise?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
steve pegg

Post by steve pegg »

Hi George,
I think the weak point of the electrical system is the wiring. If you fit higher wattage bulbs you run the risk of something melting probably around a connection with a little more resistance. The weak headlamp is a Morini thing if you can get Halogen that can help but I think the limit will still be 50/55 W on your headlamp bulb.
Just been down the shed to check on my 12v battery which glove fits in place of the original but could not easily get to it I will post that later. Will be good to get a herd of Camels/ Kanguros together somewhere.
Steve
steve pegg

Post by steve pegg »

P.S
I have a friend with an electric start Camel obviously it needs a more powerful battery for the starter 30 ish Watts but it still runs 50/55w on the headlamp. Hope that explains things.
Steve
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I have started to fit an electric start casing and parts to the Camel. It will in my opinion make it much more user friendly. Especially for me. It means I won't have to keep breaking a leg trying to get high enough to start it. The bike is a very comfortable and easy ride when you are on, up and away.
I got hold of a casing and starter from an Excalibur.
$_14.JPG
$_14.JPG (1.26 KiB) Viewed 18940 times
This I have fitted to the Camel. It fits directly without any alteration to the casing or to the frame. However.........
1. The bracket that holds the brake light switch and the rear brake stop is no longer accessible. It does not need to be removed, well as far as I can judge at the moment.
2. The right hand side foot rest is a little close to the casing so I will remove it and get it modified to extend another couple of inches away from the casing.
3. The Brake lever is hindered by the casing and it's lever mounting for the brake cylinder will need to be modified. I am not sure at the present if the master cylinder will need to be replaced by something smaller and more modern, then I can use an hydraulic switch for the brake light. instead of the mechanical one.
When the I have done the bits listed I will concentrate on the 12 volt battery for the starter motor.

One of our Morini admirers in Italy has done this I know. So lets see how it goes.

Maybe I could do with some decent lights................................
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Well the dear old 501 has a new home.

I only rode it once, up over Hartside. It went well enough but was too tall for me.
Anyway it was my first real renovation and I learnt a lot.

Goodbye dear friend.
Attachments
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg (229.48 KiB) Viewed 16091 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Chips1953 wrote: I only rode it once,
Only once? That must be frustrating! Did the starter conversion work?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.