Musings over moving a Camel 501 to Carlisle.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Chips1953

Musings over moving a Camel 501 to Carlisle.

Post by Chips1953 »

Steve Browns American import Camel 501 is waiting to be transported up to Carlisle to it's new keeper.
The CB is on EBay looking for a new home as we speak.
I can get aboard the Camel when it's on it's side stand and I can also kick it up whilst in this position. I'm not new to off roaders but this is a tall one.
Any way went to NLM on the way up and spoke to them about it as they have done some work on it, seems as if I've got a good one, hope so.
Looking forward to its arrival and to reading this forum.
Last edited by Chips1953 on 20 Jun 2012 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Re: Camel to Carlisle

Post by Chips1953 »

The Camel 501 arrived at 7:34 this morning via Spirit Couriers.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

That's early, hope you didn't get the hump.....
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

She kicked up 1st throw, so as it's Christines Birthday I suggested we go for a ride, which went down really well? Good job she had had the pressy.
She got togged up and we out to try the Camel.
Wouldn't start, sweating old b'sstard, wife togged up, Niagara style leak from the the fuel tap. So put the rear pegs back on the Corsaro and showed her what a real bike is like.
Got the Camel going, pressed on with a little go by myself. Smooth, a good strong pull, howl from the airbox, think Steve said he took something outy, a tube or something in the middle of the air filter. Finds all the gears well, corners positively, brakes non existent, built from girders and got it in the garage without any trouble. which may mean trouble for me if the the CB is noticed!
It needs some affection and soon we will be friends, I'm sure.
I have some photos of me trying to get on the Camel, which if not too embarrassing I'll put upon the Forum. sorry.

I'm wondering if 12 volt electrics and ignition will sort the starting out, float bowls were clear, anyway it's early days as yet.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hmmm,

Brakes non-existent? Get some new pads from NLM, I think they sold me some Dunlopads, they are very good.

I agree with getting on.... being short I find putting it on the side stand, jumping over and at the same time pulling the bike upright works....

You may want to check the gearing, I have just raised my Kanguro gearing and it has made a huger difference.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

used to do that when I was younger, but getting over is enough now.
Did you go to the track day, if so how was it?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Chips1953 wrote:Wouldn't start, sweating old b'sstard, wife togged up, Niagara style leak from the the fuel tap. Ooops! Flooded perhaps? if you've started it once already (the warranty has just run out ;-) ) then another start with the choke still on may not be easy, so choke off then...

Got the Camel going, pressed on with a little go by myself. Smooth, a good strong pull, howl from the airbox, think Steve said he took something outy, a tube or something in the middle of the air filter. Yes, I took out the baffles that restricted the airflow so badly it could not breathe at all-no exageration! It's a regular Camel/Kanguro tweak.

brakes non existent,- Yes I agree, my 1929 Scott is more positive on the brakes. The rear caliper has new pads and piston seals so is all ok, the pads need to bed in still but will always feel feeble I'm afraid-especially after your modern bikes! They both locked up the MoT rollers though...

I'm wondering if 12 volt electrics and ignition will sort the starting out, float bowls were clear, anyway it's early days as yet.
Going to full 12volts is a sound plan but won't make it start any better-it starts fine as it is! It's just you need to be 10ft tall and with arms and legs out of proportion with the rest of your body, or stand on a box to do it...the ignition is independant of the battery and lighting circuits on all older Morinis. If you plan to do a lot of night riding then a 12 volt job would be good, but otherwise a front brake overhaul might be a better plan. It will still be crap though :( it's a trail bike. Now then, something I didn't get to do to this bike was change the front fork oil. I don't know what is in them or how long it's been there, but I'd risk a bet it needs doing. Maybe with a little less dive the front brake won't seem so puny? Also just twigged I might have missed a call from you? sorry I was driving and never got back as-I forgot! By all means get in touch if I can help at all. text/email is often better to leave me a reminder to get back to you.
Steve

Glad it arrived quickly and hope you get to enjoy it more. The starting thing will come with a little practice.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Chips1953

Re: Musings over moving a Camel 501 to Carlisle.

Post by Chips1953 »

Well the Camel 501 (sounds like an Eau De Cologne) has spent it's first night stabled with it's new mates. No doubt discussing it's move to the frozen North, in fact they were practicing "In the Bleak Mid Winter", to the tune of "Show me the way to go home".
Surely something only a Camel can do?
Well I been working today but now I'm home and had a cup of tea, which it seems will give me prostrate cancer, I'm off to the garage to investigate my new possessions private parts, the brakes that is, oh and why she is weeing herself, when I turn the fuel on.
I have been thinking about your comment Steve, about getting aboard the old girl. Best not to go there, some of the ideas must hernia creating.

Here is a not too painful shot of me trying to mount the old girl. IT is my leg!
Attachments
Camelride.jpg
Camelride.jpg (73.1 KiB) Viewed 25931 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
steve pegg

Post by steve pegg »

Hi George,

Glad you got your Camel, it is going to very differant from your Corsaro. I have not felt the brakes to be an issue on mine so hopefully if not already fitted a Goodridge type brake line could help firm things up? As regards the seat hight you could try winding down the shock under the seat. It is possible to get your seat cut down, obviously cost money but it can be done I do have one you could possible try. Set up properly it should be a first or second kick start. I have found leaking petrol taps to be a problem when the bike has not been used much, the washers dry out. With luck !!! it just needs to swell and seal with luck!!
Yup ignition and battery are independent think magneto.

Good luck oh and check out Moto Treffen Morini 2012 lots of pics lots of Morini. Steve
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

steve pegg wrote:I have not felt the brakes to be an issue on mine so hopefully if not already fitted a Goodridge type brake line could help firm things up?
Steve did you have yours made up or was it direct of the shelf? Doesn't look like Goodridge do them.

I am happy with the Camel, just telling stories about how I feel about it, after all it is a passion for most of us, motorcycling.

I looked at the Treffen, looks interesting and cold by the way they were dressed, didn't see too much beer flowing around though, worrying. Make it a positive option to go next year, I'm more than excited about it.

I was very surprised about how well the 501 pulls, a constant surge and pleasantly powerful, must have been something in it's day.
The noddy lights are a little dim, neutral almost not there, need some mirrors and have lots of little things I want to do to make it mine. These are all things which will make it a labour of love.

How was Silverstone, Moto2 was something else. Are you going to the 1000 Bikes at Mallory, may be to get with my son for a jaunt. I see MRC are there.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
jb666

Post by jb666 »

I had a look at the pics as well - saw a number of familiar faces but yes it did look a bit chilly!

I didn't make it - I had an electrical malfunction on the Coguaro that gave off a load of smoke from under the tank fortunately before I even got to the end of my road! Between us my mate and I cocked up on Cadwell entries - I am sure my slot was appreciated by someone, I will be there next year - so that week was a bit of a disaster for me.

With regard to next year how about making it a definite trip and plotting an interesting route across Europe?

John.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Steve and I are very interested so I don't see why we can't plot something up. It's ages since I've a decent Weiss Bier.

Perhaps I need to do something to the rear sprocket to travel to The Treffen?
Maybe just take the Corsaro
George
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
steve pegg

Post by steve pegg »

Hummm,
My Camel came with a Goodridge Hose, so I can not help with the actual sourcing. But suspect plenty of people out there will make one up for you. It is something I have done on other bikes and has helped a lot.
To keep your Camel clean you might wish to consider sorting out a rear hugger. The design as it stands chucks road filth all over the back er no I have yet to do mine. Would also like to fit a Cougaro front mudgaurd if anyone has one lying around!!
Yes this treffen thing, obviously next year and no venue or dates as yet. If a herd of Camels are to set off for Germany next year that could be a fun thing / theme to do. That would be where a 12v conversion would be worthwhile, the indicators would be12v shiny bright.
George, I am sure your Beer dependency would be well catered for, my rusty German I think understood that the first line of their web page was all about food and drink.
I also noted lots of tents, Germany can be very warm; I think their campsites are better than ours something to factor in if this moves along.
Silverstone fell apart for me the weather forecast was just a little bit to iffy, my pillion did not have any wet weather gear and I had just been to Birmingham and back on the Strada one leg of which was under water for 3 hours. reluctantly watched on TV.
A friend who did go nearly came home Sunday morning as he and his tent had been trashed by the weather. He did stay though and enjoyed the racing. I think I did the right thing.
Anyhow enjoy making friends with your Camel !!! Steve
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

My suggestion re brake lines is try Hel,who are only up the road a bit from me.Not so near to you though.Very good service.I managed Thurs-Sun at Silverstone in proper tent.many others destroyed.Mind you they looked brand new as the guy ropes were not deployed.Frozen stiff in stand at Becketts ,yet at the back in the sun it must have been 10 degrees warmer, folk were in T shirts.Morini still wedged in garage by 2 BMW's doing pincer movement.weather set for more misery..but at least its getting dark earlier any day.....
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I had some made for the CB750, John. Tried to use Hel. but in the end it was cheaper to order them from the US, so will look around. did you buy the Corsaro?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965