Kanguro X1 Rear Monoshock

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Ming

Re: Kanguro X1 Rear Monoshock

Post by Ming »

I had a Kanguro rear shock overhauled some years back. https://www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk
Good job, as I recall.
hendre

Post by hendre »

Both my X2 shocks are 410mm centre-centre... it seems somebody crammed a X2 shock in your X1 :twisted:
the BMW (K75/100) original which could fit a X1 is 350mm, I know YSS offers a normal 350mm and lowered 340mm version for the BMW
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Steve, Hagon shock fitted on a 501 Camel measures 420 mm between mounting bolt centres.

Have fun with the quest.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Ming wrote:I had a Kanguro rear shock overhauled some years back. https://www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk
Good job, as I recall.
Hi Ming, yes I hear they are good. I did speak to them on the phone last year about another Kanguro shock repair but he seemed very uninterested! Said it would be better to buy new :(
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

hendre wrote:Both my X2 shocks are 410mm centre-centre... it seems somebody crammed a X2 shock in your X1 :twisted:
the BMW (K75/100) original which could fit a X1 is 350mm, I know YSS offers a normal 350mm and lowered 340mm version for the BMW
Yes, from that and what Ian says it would seem to be the bike was owned by a very tall person in the past. I think I'll try YSS next.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

'It must be a .....' wrote:Hi Steve, Hagon shock fitted on a 501 Camel measures 420 mm between mounting bolt centres.

Have fun with the quest.
Thanks Ian, they're all fun in a frustrating kind of way!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

norbert wrote:I supose some of you know Dieter Hoffmann, one of the Morini Dealers her in Germany (esp. consumble parts). He offers YSS gas-absorbers for 249€ for the Kanguro. To contact him: morinicorse1@aol.com

ciao
norbert
Thanks Norbert. I'll mail him now. :)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

My next ploy was to swap the shock from my newly acquired X onto the X2. What a difference, the X shock is 400mm (not sure if original though) and has damping. This lowers the seat height by around 50mm and the improvement in ride is very noticeable. I'm not short at 179cm and 33" inside leg, but the X3 shock previously fitted made the bike a bit tall even for me. Another benefit is I don't feel I'm sliding forward down the seat anymore.
Now that I have 2 Kanguro to play with I'm looking forward to trying a YSS shock too. I expect I'll put the X2 up for sale once I have the X ready to use. I like drum brakes, me.
ianlucas006

Post by ianlucas006 »

Hello
I came across this thread as I am looking for a replacement shock for an X3 I have recently acquired. It is also 410mm centre to centre and a Morini owner who works at KTech had a look at if for me. It has a 60/65 Newton rear spring but the shock can't be rebuilt as the ends are all swaged over apparently. I was also thinking of YSS but can't find one that is the same with an eye fixing at both ends. If anyone has found one I would love to know what it is. I will see if I can contact Morinicourse in Germany.
Many Thanks
Ian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

ianlucas006 wrote:Hello
I came across this thread as I am looking for a replacement shock for an X3 I have recently acquired. It is also 410mm centre to centre and a Morini owner who works at KTech had a look at if for me. It has a 60/65 Newton rear spring but the shock can't be rebuilt as the ends are all swaged over apparently. I was also thinking of YSS but can't find one that is the same with an eye fixing at both ends. If anyone has found one I would love to know what it is. I will see if I can contact Morinicourse in Germany.
Many Thanks
Ian
Hi Ian, I did indeed buy a YSS from Dieter in Germany. Use the email that Norbert provided, he is very helpful but I suppose the new uncertainties after Brexit may make it either more expensive or less attractive to Dieter even. The YSS was well worth it though and I think better than a Hagon too. It is worth adding that Hagon are now aware that Kanguro shocks varied across the range X/X1 and then X2 to X3. and after they sorted my mates X1 shock they said they would make others to the length you choose. Worth contacting both and then weigh up what's on offer. I'll be interested to hear how you get on please.
Warning!- I will also be inviting you to join the Morini Green Lane Section-You know you want to, don't you? 8)
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

My brother got one from Hagon.

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/

Hope that helps,

Kamel.
ianlucas006

Post by ianlucas006 »

Hello Steve
Sorry for very late reply, I haven't got into the habit of looking at this yet! I got a YSS and rebushed it and after I backed off the preload and damping quite a way it seems fine. Didn't get to ride it much as a neighbour took a liking to it and bought it! I have another one in France that I bought but haven't been able to pick up yet as we are not allowed to leave the country! That also needs a shock. Are they actually any good off road as another friend was looking at one but the reports I've had suggest they are a bit heavy.
Thanks
Ian
Ming

Post by Ming »

In my view the Kanguro is the best Morini (-ducks-), especially if you are fairly tall. I found them to be a good all-rounder, trouble free on road and track and more capable than me on rough stuff. Where is your French 'Kanguru'?
ianlucas006

Post by ianlucas006 »

It is with some friends in the Aveyron region. Toulouse is the nearest city but not than close. Hope to be allowed out in September if Covid under control by then
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

ianlucas006 wrote: 23 Jun 2021 21:35 Hello Steve
Sorry for very late reply, I haven't got into the habit of looking at this yet! I got a YSS and rebushed it and after I backed off the preload and damping quite a way it seems fine. Didn't get to ride it much as a neighbour took a liking to it and bought it! I have another one in France that I bought but haven't been able to pick up yet as we are not allowed to leave the country! That also needs a shock. Are they actually any good off road as another friend was looking at one but the reports I've had suggest they are a bit heavy.
Thanks
Ian
Glad you got the shock sorted! Did you get it from Dieter or a UK supplier? and of course-how much?
I was away this weekend trail riding (a bit) and So was another Kanguro owner at the same event. They do make a pretty good trail bike in spite of the weight. It certainly isn't too heavy to use off road it's just that modern trail riders are spoiled with the current crop of featherweight bikes like KTM or Gas Gas etc, even a Honda CRF250L is a lot lighter and that is well equipped for the road too. The Kanguro is a bike of it's time and compares favourably to others from the last century. They are great fun and still very good value and cheap to run as well.