Kanguro X1 Rear Monoshock

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
ianlucas006

Re: Kanguro X1 Rear Monoshock

Post by ianlucas006 »

Hello Steve
I have just had to order another one for a different Kanguro. I get them from WMD-Online. They cost £150 if you can access the trade section. Not sure how much they retail them for. Off to France in a week or so to rescue the bike!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Thanks Ian. I'll check WMD online too-that does sound a bargain price. Maybe I need to get another trade account?? :oops:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
ianlucas006

Post by ianlucas006 »

Hello Steve
It is not the easiest site to navigate round but part number is YS-MZ302-410TR-06.
Ian
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

That looks like a good price. I have a species of Hagon on my Coguaro but that is a lot more money so will come back to this thread if and when it fails.
Its the only bike I have ever had with a component that actually absorbs shock, unlike the ones on my Sport which let me know when I’ve hit the 5th or 6th of that set of manhole covers before Bickleigh.
You get air but not in a good way.
John
Ming

Post by Ming »

3potjohn wrote: 07 Sep 2021 12:01 ...You get air but not in a good way...
Half a crown - sixpence?
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

No, two and six 🙂
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

ianlucas006 wrote: 01 Sep 2021 12:00 Hello Steve
I have just had to order another one for a different Kanguro. I get them from WMD-Online. They cost £150 if you can access the trade section. Not sure how much they retail them for. Off to France in a week or so to rescue the bike!
WMD_Online seems to be the trade website who also provide wemoto aimed at consumers. On wemoto, the same model is currently listed for £203.04 https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ys-mz302-410tr-06 I'd encourage asking firefox racing as - sadly - I found wemoto staff didn't follow up when asked to help find a suitable shock, despite providing lots of details and making several calls. Firefox Racing have the same model for roughly the same price £204.34 http://firefoxracing.co.uk/parts-access ... ono-shock/ As an observation the spring rates seem to be a bit on the firm side: 46-80-220

Does the trade price include or exclude VAT? if it excludes VAT then the difference is relatively small, about 12% so possibly not worth the fuss of trying to apply for a trade account unless someone actually wants to buy other stuff in future...

In comparison, I bought a slightly shorter, slightly heavier duty YSS shock for my X0, the MZ366-385TRL-01. The spring rates are: 46-55-240 I've ridden it around 280 km on the road to the AGM weekend and back, so far no complaints, I've yet to use it for green-laning and yet to actually fiddle with the various settings for spring preload or damping.

I paid around £237.44 via eBay and bought it from Brooks Barn Parts. Oddly the item was much more expensive on their website (and they're both more expensive than Firefox racing who list it for around £225; FWIW I bought from Brooks Barn Parts as the person I spoke to was helpful there).

This shock is about 5 - 10mm shorter between the eyes than the shock I removed from my X0. I also needed to make some thin sleeves (10mm inside diameter, 12mm outside diameter, 22mm in length) to fit in the eye holes of this shock model. Brooks Barn Parts weren't able to customise the shock (suitable 10mm eyes are available from YSS as Steve Brown discovered when he ordered essentially the same model from Dieter in Germany I believe). The slightly shorter length means the bike rides a bit lower, I'd estimate a couple of cm at the rear wheel. Again it's possible to order a longer eye from YSS but I've yet to discover how to do so in the UK.

Out of interest the three YSS shocks that have been proposed in this topic for Kanguros are all sold for BMW models, my one is for the K1/K1000 from the late 1980's and early 1990's.
ianlucas006

Post by ianlucas006 »

They are currently £122+VAT from WMD online so a fair bit cheaper. I agree the spring rate is bit high, I had to wind off a lot of preload from the standard setting for a BMW. The XO has a shorter shock as standard I think and I could not find a longer one with a lower spring rate. Interesting to hear that YSS do the 10mm eyes. The first one I did had plain ends and I turned a couple of bushes to bring it own to the correct diameter. The second one did have some thin inserts already but still at BMW 15mm dia. I made bushes again but if YSS do alternative inserts it would be an easier solution.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Might be worth giving these people a call.

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk