fork legs

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
hombre

fork legs

Post by hombre »

Hi folks,

Out of curiosity I have compared the length and inner parts from a Mk II Camel and an Excalibur fork leg. Both are 38 mm.
As you can see the innerlegs are of the same length and I know from my Scrambler that the total length is the same too.

For those interested :roll: :
Steve Brown

Re: fork legs

Post by Steve Brown »

Stripped the forks on my Camel last week, so I am interested in the pics. Sad eh? :roll: I was worried the springs were U/S when I saw the strange shape of the first one, then pleasantly surprised to find the other was identical. So they aren't mullered then! Going to get the stanchions rechromed and need to remove the sliders need attention to the spindle clamp studs. All four are sheared off :(
My question is; are the studs threaded into the slider alloy as well as those steel captive nuts in the recess? When I pluck up the courage I need to start getting those little blighters out. Not looking forward to that but it will be satisfying when overcome. :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Do you mean this part?
Mine are at a mechanic right now who apparently can weld them (there's magnesium in them too :shock: ) I have found that in the recess are two square nuts where they are bolt into, that's all.

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

hombre wrote:Do you mean this part?
Mine are at a mechanic right now who apparently can weld them (there's magnesium in them too :shock: ) I have found that in the recess are two square nuts where they are bolt into, that's all.

Yes that's the part Hombre, mine are not broken but the studs are all sheared off and not moving yet. Got them in soak for now. I have managed to move the steel square nuts a few degrees each way with a small punch so they seem to be turning on the remains of the stud at least. Trouble is, the studs seem stuck fast in the alloy slider. Corrosion then, if not threaded here.
Looks like I need to practise accurate drilling then. That will be a first. :roll:
hombre

Post by hombre »

aha alright, be careful with that stuff it's easily damaged
Btw, the one in my previous pic is from an Mk II Camel, the first series came in a high and low version so those forks can be different... I was fortunate I ran into a bend KTM-Marzocchi with the lowerlegs intact so used those on my Mk I. Now working on an Mk II :mrgreen:
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Eventually plucked up the courage to get the corroded studs out and actually managed it. A bit of left field thinking was used, almost as much as the applied bodgery thinking in fact, but it worked. So off they went with the frame etc for powder coating and I got them back today. Just waiting on the rechromed and ground stanchions now.
Looking again at your picture above, leads me to ask if the springs and spacer set up you have is original, do you know? On mine there is no spring preload tube at the top but there were two short springs (about 50mm long) but a slightly different diameter to the main spring. I was wondering if this is a mod by a previous owner?
Does anyone know where to get a parts list for these forks? I have seen the strip down manual but that does seem a bit general and not specific to any particular model.