Kanguro Not Hopping Along

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
jb666

Kanguro Not Hopping Along

Post by jb666 »

Well I got the engine out of the frame and drilled out the two rounded out capheads and got the rocker cover off of the front pot. It was surprising how well the caps had corroded into the ally covers!

So what joys did I find? For the first time in my Morini owning career I am the not so proud owner of a broken inlet pushrod. Anyone got one spare?

Now the engine is out I am going to get the exhaust threads done as on close examination they only exist as a theoretical concept. I know NLM do a repair but wondered if anyone had experience of anyone closer to home in Kent.

Looks like another fun Saturday in the garage!!

John.
acemorini

Re: Kanguro Not Hopping Along

Post by acemorini »

Hello John, I will have a look through my spares to see if I have any pushrods, I don't remember seeing any but you never know. Sorry can not help on the thread repair.
Regards Pete.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

What part of the pushrod is broken? The ends can be re-used on a new centre section.

I've repaired a few exhaust threads. It's not a particularly difficult job, but does take quite a bit of time unless you have a dedicated setup for doing it. I think it took over three hours per head last time I took on the task.

NLM may well be your best bet.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

Here in germany repairing the threads is offered for 350: 80€ and 500/250T: 90€ per head

norbert
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hi John, Godden engineering will sort you out, great blokes. Not far away either.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Godden engineering, of Grasstrack fame?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Yup, that's the ones, they also own Conway motors the Vincent people and make GR speedway engines. Magic people, very helpful and nothing seems beyond them.
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Thanks for that Pete. I'll drop in to them tomorrow on my travels.

Further investigation shows one broken pushrod - follower end bent, other pushrod bent with follower end bent. So that's two pushrods on the shopping list. Also found the exhaust cam follower top edge has a lump chipped off - which I managed to extract with a magnet. It should be OK as I couldn't feel any 'grit' in the bottom of the follower.

The good news is the rockers and trunnions are fine and the threads haven't pulled in the head. Grateful for small mercies!!

I hope this nice weather holds so I can stay out in the garage!

John.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello John, I have had a hunt around in the spares boxes, but no push rods, sorry. Have worked out what's caused the engine failure ?
Regards Pete.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Bended pushrods in a 350 motor is a comun result of a broken timing belt, as far as I know.

norbert
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Yes Norbert the timing belt was the cause of my problems.

The cause of my woes was a timing belt that stripped its 'teeth'. It happened on the way back from the Treffen at Hockenheim.

I had a weep from the crankshaft seal behind the stator and with the temperature running in the low to mid 30's that trip I think the thrashing it got at the track was just a step too far. It was not a new belt but had been looked at before the trip and looked OK.

Seal has been replaced and now the rebuild begins!!

John.
norbert

Post by norbert »

If you look for pushrods, you have to say if they are for the front or rear cilinder, they have a diferent length.
If you really dont find them (would make me wonder with all that material in the UK) I could have a look at my spare parts :wink:

norbert
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

How are you getting on with the rebuild John ?
Regards Pete.
jb666

Post by jb666 »

No great news to report as yet. Both heads at NLM having exhaust threads done. Dropped in to Goddens and they said they could help but the cost would be prohibitive as they would have to work out the set up, machine parts etc. They said that NLM's price was more than reasonable so away they went.

I spoke to Rob earlier this week and there is a bit of queue for exhaust thread repairs - it's that time of year!! With a bit of luck they will be back for the Christmas break and I can go in the garage when the other half's Mother arrives!!

I'll post again when progress has been made!

John.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

... and the other half will probably join you after an hour.... get the beers ready... :)