Camel Mk1 Tank mountings

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Camel Mk1 Tank mountings

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi all, as my Camel bitsa project is moving along, I managed to get a new tank from a chap in Germany the other week. It's a new, unused (NOS) tank with no mounting furniture at the front end. It's a fibreglass tank btw.
Does anyone have a picture of what the mountings looked like, please? I'm sure I could mackle something up but I would like this bike to look something like Bologna would have made it. So any info or offers of spare fittings would be appreciated.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Derek Wright

Re: Camel Mk1 Tank mountings

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Steve,
If it's a fibre glass tank you have it could be the same as mine.
Will pop round on the camel this week some time so you can have a look at the mountings.
Derek
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Morning Derek, yes it is a fibreglass tank. Be nice to see you and take a look at your bike again. I'm in the Isle of Man till the weekend though! Will let you know when I'm back.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Steve,

Not sure on how good the original fibreglass gel was, but Norton Commando fibreglass tanks go all soft with modern fuel, unless 'sealed' with one of the proprietary tank sealants (Caswell, Petseal etc). Would hate to see you get it all finished only for your tank to 'melt'!

Regards,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

George 350 wrote:Steve,

Not sure on how good the original fibreglass gel was, but Norton Commando fibreglass tanks go all soft with modern fuel, unless 'sealed' with one of the proprietary tank sealants (Caswell, Petseal etc). Would hate to see you get it all finished only for your tank to 'melt'!

Regards,
George.
Hi George, it sounds like any fibreglass is prone to this problem with ethanol. As my new tank does appear to be genuine NOS and seems never to have had petrol in it, I will be cleaning it with something like 'marine clean' from Frosts and then applying a sealer/liner to it. I don't like liners in tanks that aren't leaking but also don't want to risk this one being ruined, so a liner it will be.
Still in the Isle of Man today, planning my TT 2017 visit with the same Camel! :)