Oil capacities

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Sheikh

Oil capacities

Post by Sheikh »

Here's a strange discrepancy which someone clever may be able to explain.
I've always thought that the oil capacity of the a 350 was 2.5 litres, and when I checked the factory and the Harglo manual they both confirm this. But I've got a handbook for a 350 (quite an early one) in which '2.5 litres' has been over stamped '3 litres', in red, in four separate places.
And I always thought that the oil capacity of the 500 was 3 litres, and that's what the factory manual says. But my Camel handbook says 2.5 litres.
I'm not really sure why they should be different between a 500 and a 350. Or if they actually are.
Any thoughts?
Quinlan3353

Re: Oil capacities

Post by Quinlan3353 »

I think it is definitely 2.5 litres, and not a drop more. The first time I changed the oil on my 3 1/2 Strada (1976), I added 2.5 litres and then -- seeing that the level was barely up to the half-way mark on the dipstick -- added some more. Result: oil leaked into the clutch and it had to be stripped to clean it. NLM say you add 2.5 litres and that's it!
Martin
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So, dragging up an old thread,

Is the 500`s capacity 3 lt or 2.5 ?

Manual says 3.
norbert

Post by norbert »

In my opinion it´s 2,5 l as well, or that´s what I spend for years. Maybe sometimes a bit more, when I´m going a a long tour, but never 3 l.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

A oil fill of 3 litre seems to have been adopted when the change from a ball race timing side bearing to a plain bearing was made and was listed for the 500 engines at one time.

All the late manuals say 2.5l (10/40 semi synthetic)

Those who've conducted oil temperature tests have found that 2.7l gives the lowest temperature, which suggests that more oil than that just results in geater churn.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru