Camel - Fires and Revs.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Butch

Camel - Fires and Revs.

Post by Butch »

Ran the bike up at the weekend for the first time since I bought it. The bike is running the std PHB26 Delortos and airbox. Each carb has an individual flip top choke (enricher). After a few kicks (I hate left side kick starts) it burst into life, but with both chokes on was running at around 3k rpm. I’ve no great enthusiasm for revving cold engines so had to juggle with the flip tops until the bike would run OK.

I’ve not looked at these carbs specifically but from my knowledge of Delortos generally, the enricher plungers are very much an off or on kind of thing. Is there a better way of warming the motor more gently?
MickeyMoto

Re: Camel - Fires and Revs.

Post by MickeyMoto »

The 500s and Excalibur had a cable. The chokes can be changed for these, which provide more control. I find it easier to set a lower rev when cold. I also hate revving cold engines.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You shouldn't need both chokes, except in really cold weather, or perhaps if the bike has been sitting for an extended period.

On my Sport, I usually use the left hand lever as I can flip it down as I ride off.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

What Evguru said. I usually use the LH one but flip it off after a very short time and catch and hold it on just a whiff of throttle until it's warmed up a bit before setting off.
norbert

Post by norbert »

You also can lift the choke lever withot folding it and turn it a quater (90°) , that´s about half choke :wink:

norbert
Butch

Post by Butch »

So I bought a remote choke cable arrangement, and fitted just half of it. I figured I'd fire up with the flip top open on one side and the cable pulled on the other, then flip off straight away and just use the remote lever on the second one. But boy does it go off one when fired up with both sides opened.

So I guess I'll connect up the second cable. But from the design I just can't see why the enrichers aren't just on or off?