Carb setup

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Coxey

Carb setup

Post by Coxey »

Having now got my X3 fired up and working I suspect that it's lack of tickover, except on choke, is due to approximately 8 years or more of sticky old fuel bunging up all the little airways etc in the carbs (it's been about that long since it was regularly used). Come to think of it I doubt that the carbs have ever been cleaned since new in 1989.

I've never removed, dismantled, cleaned or reassembled a carb before so was wondering if someone could give me some advice/web address/etc on how best to do it? Or is it best left to an expert - any one in the club that could do it for me?

Many thanks

Rob
Ming

Re: Carb setup

Post by Ming »

Coxey wrote:...I've never removed, dismantled, cleaned or reassembled a carb before so was wondering if someone could give me some advice/web address/etc on how best to do it? Or is it best left to an expert - any one in the club that could do it for me?
It's not particularly difficult and as a bonus, it can be done in a nice warm kitchen if you don't have a nice warm workshop.
You need a few spanners, a screwdriver that is a good fit in the jet slots and a can of carb / brake cleaner spray, some old toothbrushes, cotton buds, etc and a length of fine copper wire or fusewire to poke various holes. Well worth having a go yourself - you can even leave the carb top, slide and needle attached to the bike.
Overhaul kits are available from Dellorto (or ebay), like this http://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto ... asket-set/, you will also find an exploded drawing on that site with all parts numbered - very useful.
Be aware that the jets will probably be extremely tight to undo - that is why you need a good screwdriver, so as not to burr the slots.
2volts

Post by 2volts »

Carb/brake cleaner spray stinks something awful and I don't recommend using it in the kitchen.
Also full of not very nice chemical compounds so avoid inhaling it and best wear latex gloves to avoid skin contact.

Be methodical about dismantling the carbs, lay the bits out to keep track of them, use a camera/take notes/make a sketch.

Definitely get a carb kit, be careful replacing o-rings etc, some of the small o-rings look the same size at a glance but are not.

pete
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

One of the best garage 'tools' I ever invested in was an ultrasonic cleaner. If you can find someone local who will give the bodies and dismantled bits 'the treatment' it works better than any amount of carb cleaner in my experience. I first got mine a few years ago to sort out a small Keihin on my wife's CB250. Full of small passageways that I couldn't reach. A few soaks in the ultrasonic bath and it was transformed. I've since used it on numerous carbs, dismantled brake components and even small MX suspension linkages (naturally you need to clean out the tank scrupulously after cleaning something greasy). Not cheap, but I reckon mine has paid for itself several times. Having said that, VHB or PHB Dellortos are pretty straightforward and usually succumb to the solvent and wire approach. I also once had an idle jet from the Keihin PWK form a 2T MX bike that resisted all attempts to clear it including ultrasonics or wire - just had to buy a new jet.

If all else fails you could send them to me.
Butch

Post by Butch »

72degrees wrote: Full of small passageways that I couldn't reach.
The missus?