Sensible Cruising Speed

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Butch

Sensible Cruising Speed

Post by Butch »

So I've done a few miles on my Camel now. I was out on the A12 earlier today and whilst it felt quite buzzy at around 55-60 mph it smoothed a bit if I pushed the speed up a little higher. I'm doing around 6 - 6.5k rpm at 70 per when my tach is marked with a red line at 7.5

Is that kind of speed going to be OK or will I end up breaking something?
Ming

Re: Sensible Cruising Speed

Post by Ming »

Butch wrote:...Is that kind of speed going to be OK or will I end up breaking something?
Only the law! :twisted: These engines have the reputation of revving like 2 strokes.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Ming wrote:
Butch wrote:...Is that kind of speed going to be OK or will I end up breaking something?
Only the law! :twisted: These engines have the reputation of revving like 2 strokes.
Heh! Both of mine don't really go properly until they are doing 6000 rpm. Mind you, they are 350s not 500s, plus the one with tacho has a 2C one ;)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

478s don't rev like 344s... In my experience. However for the road gearing appears low...

Makes top speed about 90 at 7500? About right for Camel? Later 507s go to 8,500.
huub

Post by huub »

i keep the cruising speed below 70,
be careful, mine gets pretty nervous at high speed, the thing actually needs the steering damper.
i had the front wheel lift due to the air pressure of a oncoming truck!! :shock:
Butch

Post by Butch »

Yeah - I'd guess a max of maybe 95 at the 7.5 red line. That was all on a sat nav by the way. Speedo is in Kms and fairly optimistic.

Mine has a lower mudguard fitted, much closer to the front wheel. And there is a steering damper attached, though I've not checked to see if that is still functional.

(I'd have to say - trying to add pictures on this board is getting up my t1t5)
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, just over 90mph is about right for a 500 Camel on standard gearing. Sitting at motorway speeds for hours should be no problem for the bike, just boring for the rider.
Both MkI or MkII (IA) 500 Camels should be rock solid at speed with standard mudguards and with the steering damper removed; problems could be down to tyres and pressure.
But the 501 Camels do get light at the front at speed even when you fit a low guard, remove the hand guards and screen.
Have fun, Ian