Camel - Rear Drum

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Butch

Camel - Rear Drum

Post by Butch »

I've only been on the road a couple of weeks but noticed that the brake pedal was just starting to stick down occasionally. I figured maybe it was just starting to go over cam, so whilst it was still up on the table after ruining the clutch I thought I'd have a look.

There's some nice engineering back there with a quickly detachable wheel that leaves the drum and sprocket in situ. Which conversely means that perhaps detrimentally, probably no-one has looked in there for a while. There is some terrible scoring in the drum, probably 10 - 20 thou deep; the shoes are grooved to match. No signs of dust though, and no loose shrapnel. Looks like maybe there is some bits stuck into the brake material, like maybe all the sintering has collected in one place. The liners are composite rather than riveted so that ain't the problem.

Not sure if I can get it skimmed - my lathe isn't big enough to swing it. What chance I can get another?
Steve Brown

Re: Camel - Rear Drum

Post by Steve Brown »

I think that might be a common problem. My own Camel rear drum is the same. Near here is another Camel owner who has found exactly the same. Maybe a lining material/drum material mis-match? Mine is too deep to turn out (I think, anyway) so I will use it as it is and monitor the problem.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Got a used item at some expense from NLM. It looks like it has been stored in a ditch but the drum surface is a whole lot better than mine. It's going to be some weeks before I'm going to look at this, and it will need a pair of new wheel bearings also - does anyone know the size?

Once I've swapped out, if I can find someone with a lathe with a big enough swing and a four jaw chuck I might try and give it a skim.
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

I had some brake drum / shoe issues with my first first Morini, the drum braked model X Kanguro which I got about 10 years ago.
The bike had been standing a while and the shoes on the back and the front looked a bit iffy so these were replace with new items, the drums were ok.
The bike was used quite a bit and I found I was having to adjust the brakes quite often over about 18 months use. When I eventually took the wheels off to have a look expecting to have to replace the shoes, I found the drums in a terrible state, the front the worst as it gets more use. The linings looked bad also, being grooved to match the drums.
I believe the problems were the linings, Nufren from NLM, I spoke to Stuart about it but he said he had not heard of any problems. Anyway, used the spare front from my Camel and put re-lined shoes in which I got done by Saftek. The Nufren linings were very coarse compared to the Saftek. Was able to get a skim taken off the rear and fitted Saftek there also and had no further trouble. Also fitted Saftek linings to the rear of my Camel, the front has a disc mod but came with the original drum.
Have since sold the X but had to take the camel wheel off ( smaller dia drum on the Camel stangely), but did tell the new owner he would need the drum skimmed.
I think the drum material must be quite soft and coupled with the coarse texture of the Nufren linings led to the problems.
Been running the Camel for a few years now and the rear with Saftek linings has not given any problems.
Re bearing sizes, not sure which rear wheel you have but the X Kanguro and my Mk 1 Camel had the same rear wheels, I made a note of the bearing refs. from the X and these were -
2 off fitted to the drum / sprocket carrier sealed type 6004 single row ball bearings. 2 off fitted to the wheel, 3203, double row ball bearings. Seals, 2 off 25.40.7
I replaced the carrier bearings ( common size ) but the double row bearings were very expensive and as these were quite good, they were not replaced.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Thanks for that. I have now acquired a second hand better drum/carrier. Got some new shoes from NLM. I'll need to check what liners those are.
Butch

Post by Butch »

The brake shoes arrived loose, as in not boxed - I was amused that they are sold as singles. They are unbranded, with a rough cast looking shoe, a steel capped operating surface and pinky/orange liners bonded on. They came new from NLM.

Any good?
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Butch,
The Nufren brake linings ( from NLM ) I had the problem with were black, and after use silver metallic bits could be seen in the linings. The ones you have don't sound like Nufren.
The Saftek linings I changed to were brown.
Best to put them on and have a look after a couple of hundred miles to see how they are doing.