Right Foot Shift

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Butch

Right Foot Shift

Post by Butch »

So having dealt with my sticky clutch - albeit yet to be road tested, next up will be the gammy shift linkages. As noted elsewhere, mine is set up with left foot shift and a cable operated drum on the right pedal.

I'm presuming some folks are running with the pedals swapped over and as they should be. Can anyone post pictures on how this set up might look.

Thanks.
SupermotoDave

Re: Right Foot Shift

Post by SupermotoDave »

Have to say that even having spent my formative years on rh shifts, the LH shift on my kanguro is/was sweeter than the RH shift on my Strada, even with all the cross over shafts.
David
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Butch, all Camels have left foot gear levers, yet it is possible; see http://www.realclassic.co.uk/morini05051600.html
Sadly Ken is no longer with us, yet he did detail the Kanguro changes in a MRC magazine some years back; if you are in the club Dave Marlow might be able to help?
Good luck, Ian
Ming

Post by Ming »

SupermotoDave wrote:Have to say that even having spent my formative years on rh shifts, the LH shift on my kanguro is/was sweeter than the RH shift on my Strada, even with all the cross over shafts.
David
I would agree - the LH shifts on both Kanguros I have owned were positive and smooth, as well as being on the current 'right side'.
Butch

Post by Butch »

OK thanks. I think I have a right foot shifter in a box somewhere that came with the bike. But next up I’ll make some new nylon bushings for the left foot pedal spindle, and I have some new rose joints and threaded stainless rod so will reconstruct the linkages for best throws. Then see how we go. Work is likely to be delayed until after Xmas now mind.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I'm building my Camel with proper sided pedals too. As I'm using an engine with the electric starter casing I was pleased to find the the linkage from the road bike it came from fits straight in and works fine. I will modify the tip of the pedal at some point to a more off road style though.
The brake side is not quite so easy but should still be do-able. The challenge will be getting enough pedal throw/travel. I think it looks easy enough (although slightly tighter curves than ideal) to route the brake cable up over the top of the chain guard and through an 'S' bend over the swing arm pivot area to the cable stop I've already welded to the frame. When it's done I'll try to post pictures in case anyone else fancies the change.
Most of my bikes are R/H change so this makes sense to me. If I could do it neatly I would also like to change the gear change to an 'upside down' pattern that would match my other bikes. I don't normally get too much trouble with left/right confusion but the which way up/down bit catches me out more often. :oops:
Last edited by Steve Brown on 14 Dec 2016 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Yeah, it's funny what comes OK and what does not. I can shift either side, and both patterns. I can hand shift and foot clutch - like a car really. I just plain cannot do left foot kicker - which on these bikes, and with no electric start, is unfortunate.
Butch

Post by Butch »

I looked at my linkages again this morning. The pedal (on the left remember) pivots in a short tube welded to the lower frame rail. This has all taken one hell of a bang at some point and is distorted. There has been a later brace welded there. Impact damage is also evident on the spliny teeth that the footrest itself bolts up against. That short tube had bushes inserted into each for the pedal pivot. One was nylon and one looked like oilite, maybe (?). Because they don't align the pedal binds. So I popped out the oilite one and turned up a replacement in nylon. I just kept boring it and trial fitting it until the pedal moved without hindrance. It will do for now. Long term solution would be to replace the whole welded on tube some day.

Then I pulled all the linkages and set them up as best I could for 90 degree operating angles. All seems to work OK on the bench, but I was too lazy to road test it. I'm just hoping I don't have the pedal set too uncomfortable high for the position of the footrest. I don't think I have much room for maneuver there without a major rethink.