Missing Camel

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Sheikh

Missing Camel

Post by Sheikh »

Funny question. Does anyone out there own a Mk1 Camel that used to belong to a guy called Van Tran, from Nottingham? If you do, please can you get in touch?
He'd got really good moulds made for making glass fibre side panels and I wonder what happened to them. I know that he sold the bike, and I wonder if the moulds got sold with it.
Thanks
Steve Brown

Re: Missing Camel

Post by Steve Brown »

Might that be the chap from Nottingham with the username '
Van883'?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, have a look at this thread on the forum
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2864
Might help, but no mention of whether the moulds were passed on with the bike.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Ian, very timely post! I was only saying today to another member and Camel owner that I need to get in touch with you...I still have the promised bits put aside and still haven't done anything with them-sorry. :oops:
I know I've had your contact details before (more than once) but I mislaid them.
Could you email or PM them to me again please, and I promise you will see results in no time at all, this time, honest!
Butch

Post by Butch »

Interesting bit of history there. As an aside to that, I have what I think is a pretty much complete set of plastics for one of these bikes - though I don't know which model/mark my Camel is. It's a later import but on a 'W' plate, twin shock rear but a disc brake up front. I'm happy to move these on if any one has a need. The colour scheme is white and the tank does have superficial blistering on its upper surface. I can do dome pics depending on how finicky this site is on sizing.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Butch, please do let us see the panels you have, I think they are all getting a bit rare now...
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Sheikh,
Not been on the Forum lately and only just seen your request. I own the ex Van Tran Camel and can confirm the the side panel patterns did not come with the bike.
Also, as I recall, Van did not initiate the manufacture of the patterns. I believe he got the pair for my bike from the chap who had the patterns made but I have no idea who he was.
The pair that came with the bike were undrilled having never been fitted.
You are probably aware that I passed the address details of Van to Steve last week so he can see if he can find out who has the patterns.
Seems we've got a few Camels on the go now, only problem with mine is that it's not used enough, I keep it taxed all year so as soon as the weather warms up a bit will be giving it a run out.
Cheers, Derek
Sheikh

Post by Sheikh »

Hello Derek,

Thanks for the reply. I think that Steve is on the case with trying to track down Van, who hopefully still has the moulds.

I arranged for the moulds to be made from my side panels and I think that we had three pairs of panels made. Van ended up with the moulds.

I've attached a picture of the side panels. The one with the coloured logo is one of my originals, and the one with the raised logo is one of the copies.

There has been talk of a Camel Train, to include some trail riding. It'd be nice to see a herd of them. The sun's out, so I need to get mine fired up again.

Best

Hugo
Attachments
WP_20170312_18_04_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20170312_18_04_50_Pro.jpg (320.76 KiB) Viewed 14840 times
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Sheikh and Derek, I did make a feeble attempt to contact Van but no reply as yet. I have some more time coming up now so will have another go. I may go to Nottingham even, to see the Grandkids of course...
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Sheikh, Steve,
Hope you are successful in tracing the the moulds for the side panels.
My memory must be playing tricks as when I got the bike I recall Van going on about the rarity of the panels but do not recall him saying he had the moulds.
I think I got most of his Morini bits off him when I got the Camel, previously I bought a Kanguro X3 off him and believe he was getting rid of his all Morini stuff when he sold me the Camel.
I'm feel sure he would have shown me the moulds if he had them, might send him an email, I promised to let him know when I got the bike on the road but never did, that's four years ago know.
Regarding the side panels which came with my bike, I had a bit trouble fitting them and still not to happy with the fit, this being because my frame did not have the two little pegs that I believe the panels locate on. I managed to make clamp on pegs but the fit could be better.
Would be nice to see a few Camels together that's for sure.
Cheers, Derek
Butch

Post by Butch »

Yeah – I’d be interested in a Camel meet up (love in?), though I’m not a ‘Morini Man’ per se, and mostly ride alone. Do we think there are many out there in the UK?