Camel fuel taps

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Camel fuel taps

Post by Steve Brown »

Anyone know of a source for the M16 male threaded fuel taps for my Camel tank please? I expected them to be as the road bikes with a L/H thread and a special nut to suit. My tank has steel inserts in the fibreglass with M16x1 female threads. So a tap with a male thread and locking nut would sound sensible to me. Any Camel owners able to confirm this or show me a pic of theirs please? I know there were various tanks on the Camels, steel/fibre etc and the type I have is a Mk1 fibreglass version.
Not had the chance to ask NLM yet!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
'It must be a .....'

Re: Camel fuel taps

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Steve, the steel tanks on Mk1 & 2 Camels have road bike tap fittings as do the later fibreglass tank 500 Camels. All 501 Camels have these type fittings too.
I'll ask a friend with a Mk1 fibreglass tank to have a look.
Could there be an adapter that is missing from the tank's steel inserts?
I'll get back to you, regards Ian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Thanks for the reply Ian, I guess there may be an adaptor missing. There is the possibility I could make them and then use an 1/8 BSP British type tap as they are easily available.
The two stubs do have a similar looking thread to the normal type, just it's a female version and R/H!
hendre

Post by hendre »

here they have a wide choice of fuel taps, I guess there should be a model that fits your tank
http://guzzino.com/fuelsystem.html
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Thanks Hendre, I hadn't looked there but they don't list them either. I think the easy way out is make adaptors to use some easily found type of taps.
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Steve,
My fibre glass Mk 1 tank has a M16 fine male to male adapters that fit into the threaded sleeve in the tank, the petrol tap then fits onto the male thread via the nut as used used on the normal type of tap used on the Kanguro's and Mk1 Camels, not sure if they are the same fitting as the road bikes as I've never had one.
The important news is though is that I have two of the said adapters which you are welcome to have.
Will not be around Friday, best text me anyway when you plan to come to make sure I'm around.
Cheers, Derek
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Derek Wright wrote:Steve,
My fibre glass Mk 1 tank has a M16 fine male to male adapters that fit into the threaded sleeve in the tank, the petrol tap then fits onto the male thread via the nut as used used on the normal type of tap used on the Kanguro's and Mk1 Camels, not sure if they are the same fitting as the road bikes as I've never had one.
The important news is though is that I have two of the said adapters which you are welcome to have.
Will not be around Friday, best text me anyway when you plan to come to make sure I'm around.
Cheers, Derek
Blimey Derek, that brilliant news! I'll be round soon, unless I see you in the supermarket again. :) What you describe sounds like it would suit the road bike taps too, in any case they will make the choice of taps much wider, thanks mate!
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Steve, brilliant and the best/easiest solution to the tap problem!
I've just looked at my late Camel fibreglass tank and it too has threaded adapters with thin lock nuts and uses road type taps.
Take care, Ian