Throttle a Camel

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Throttle a Camel

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi all, I'm getting excited and all progress making again! Must be because winter is coming? Anyway, as I am soon to go and get the final fitting of the exhaust for my Mk wannabe Camel, I want to have it at the stage that it can be fired up as soon as the pipes are fitted.
Going over the prep for this I remember I have no throttle cables for the bike. NLM don't have them or any measurements for them so my question is, do you please?
I have the 1 into 2 junction box and I have bought a replica AMAL trials throttle twistgrip and hope that will match up. But please if you know the standard measurements please let me know!

Pipes on the way, nice new shocks from France being made up in the next fortnight, last few hurdles about to be cleared. :D
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
'It must be a .....'

Re: Throttle a Camel

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Steve, I can give you the standard measurements for the cables from the carbs to the cable junction box , but you will have to sort out the inner cable length needed from the junction box to the twist grip of your choice.
I'll look out the original cables etc and get back to you,
regards Ian

PS I gave NLM the standard cable measurements for the Mk I & II Camels about 4 years ago after they sent me some incorrect cables; in the end it was less trouble to make them up myself!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

That would be good if you can please Ian, what might be useful also is how much inner cable is left spare when the other end is attached to your twistrip?

Looks like some proper progress is imminent now and I may even get registered and on the road in time for winter! :roll:
'It must be a .....'

Hi Steve, have measured the Camel cables:
Junction box to carb outer cables are 328 mm & 395 mm and the inner cables are 80 mm longer (measured under the nipple).
Twistgrip to junction box outer is 630 mm and the inner is longer by 35 mm when fitted to the twistgrip (the inner cable is longer by 110 mm, see below).
I'm using a Tommaselli Soft Trail Twistgrip ART. 521 which turns 90 degrees when pulling the 28 mm cable movement of the 26mm PHBH Delortos and must be similar in action to the Amal T.80/200.
The junction box is alloy and used on several Morinis for carbs and choke cables; do you need this length too?
Regards Ian
Butch

Post by Butch »

I'm pretty sure I replaced my 2:1 Camel throttle cables with stuff from NLM in the last 6 months or so. They fitted my set up straight out of the box.
'It must be a .....'

'I'm pretty sure I replaced my 2:1 Camel throttle cables with stuff from NLM in the last 6 months or so. They fitted my set up straight out of the box.'

That's good to know; as about 4 years ago NLM couldn't supply the correct cables.
I gave NLM the lengths of the standard MK1 Camel cables and spoke at length with Stuart about the matter; I measured an original set of cables and another identical set that NLM supplied by back in 1988.
In the end Stuart gave me contact details of a company who would make them to order, but it was easier and quicker to make a set myself.
Again it's great that NLM now stock the correct length cables for 500 Camels , regards Ian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Thanks Ian, they will be useful dimensions. I'll get on again in the morning!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

And thanks Butch too. I did ask at NLM last month and they were out of them at the time. Didn't have measurements available sadly either. Will check again before I get into making some.