Oil Thread

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Butch

Oil Thread

Post by Butch »

I’d intended riding the Camel out to a Sunbeam rally/camp nr Hastings tomorrow afternoon, so figured I’d use it on the station run this morning and then gas it up on the way home later.

Got to the station to find the back of the bike awash with oil. I didn’t have time to check things over beyond that the filler cap was still in the crankcase, but I’m guessing that I’ve lost the sump plug. I’ve even got oil up my jacket so it’s certainly lost a lot. Engine sounded OK when I rolled into the sheds so hopefully I’ve dodged a bullet on that score, it's about an 8 mile run.

Further prognosis and probably recovery by Previa this evening. Wondering what the threads are like in the crank case.
Butch

Re: Oil Thread

Post by Butch »

So that sump plug has been in since the oil change I made last year when I bought the bike – it’s not been bolted in more recently. Why would it come loose now? Could there be some breather issue or other failure at work here? Also, I now have the home brew sump guard bolted on so I’m not sure how clear a view I’m going of have of the plug itself in a cursory inspection at the car-park this evening. A little bit of oil goes a long way so maybe other forces are at work. The dipstick is at least easily assessable to see if there is a level there that can still reach it.

Thinking further on that, as I am want to do; the bike is running std air filters and there is a rather nice breather box/catch tank arrangement at the back of the engine, all quite neat. Maybe something has gone wrong there – though it should only be breathing fumes of course. The engine ran with no discernible difference this morning.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

So you've not actually recovered the bike yet? You're just giving yourself nightmare/worst case scenarios to panic over? :wink: If you had lost the sump plug it wouldn't take long for the big ends to sound an alarm call, so I'd reckon you're more likely to find the breather pipe disconnected or broken. That would account for it making its way up to your jacket. As you also said, a little oil goes a long way. Years of old Brit bikes have taught me that too, good luck! I think the large breather pipe would be a rubber hose so quite likely to be perished too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Yeah – the oil has gone to the RH side of the tyre and then thrown over me.

I’ve got to get down the main line and then check it over, take a call on whether to ride it on the return, or hang round for a branch line train. If it’s the latter then I get to unbolt the seats from my Previa and head back over to load up for the trip of shame (my Sunbeam holds the record). It will fit as long as I compress the forks absolutely and strap them.

My Mother always said that you have to speculate to accumulate. And thanks.
Butch

Post by Butch »

The trains were totally up the swanny last night, which meant I had to egress through Stansted. So ultimately I got to the bike very late.

Sump plug is still in it. The whole of the rear end of the bike is very oily indeed. So will need further investigation and it will be weeks before I have time for that now.

Meanwhile, I found that the side stand mount is tearing its way off the swinging arm. Going to need some care and attention there.