Hard Chroming discs

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
geoffmac

Hard Chroming discs

Post by geoffmac »

I have 3 Kanguro discs in various stages of decay. They need to be replaced with new (not sure that's possible) or re chromed. Does anyone know of a supplier who will re-chrome these for me?
Any help would be approciated
Geoff McGladdery
Ming

Re: Hard Chroming discs

Post by Ming »

http://thediscdoctor.co.uk/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-mo ... 2701866913
Just from a quick Google - no recommendation, just an example of what's about.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Better off having them zinc plated, much more durable. Morn discs were only cosmetically chrome plated, like soap dishes in the bathroom and Japanese chromed bright work.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

PS, There are a coupe of places in the West Midlands and a place in Bristol, but done properly it will be very expensive having had this type of plating done in the past.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Would they be better just skimmed clean - or are they not resilient enough without the plating?
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Original plating was for cosmetic appearances only. Chrome is porous and it is only if done properly - zinc then copper then chrome - will not rust. The zinc in sacrificial and the copper seals the surface to protect the zinc in the first place. Hard chrome plating is where the zinc/copper is done and then the chrome is deposited at anything over 0.001" and is commonly used to recover worn shafts die holds etc. I had a crankshaft big ends recovered by hard chrome plating and was not cheap even done as a foreigner. Aermacchi used to hard chrome plate the cam followers on there oushrod racing singles. Decorative plating is usually plated at less than 0.0005" and as mentioned before without the two base deposits, which is why bathroom chrome soap basket go rusty and why Japanese mudguards turn to dusty flakes when touched because the steel has reverted to ferous oxide and you then have a chrome outline which is not supported.
norbert

Post by norbert »

The chrome of my discs diapeared a long time ago and they still work fine. It does not look like an exhibican bike, especially after standing in the rain. But breaking three times the rust disapears and it works :wink:

norbert
Butch

Post by Butch »

Front disc on my 750 Bonneville was chromed and had worn half and half. Gave all of the impression of a warped disc presumably due to differing coefficients of friction.

Guzzi discs are plain cast iron and all the better for it.
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

I didn't realise that the rear discs were chrome plated from the state of my recently aquired X3. But new pads , fluid change have left a wooden but functional shiny front brake and a revolving plate at the back that stops the wheel turning on the stand (and for the MOT ) but is pretty horrible to use .Would softer pads on an "iron " disc help? if so anyone know where to get some or should I replace the disc or get it re chromed?