X3 starter motor

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
geoffmac

X3 starter motor

Post by geoffmac »

Does anyone have a complete Kanguro X3 starter motor for sale?
geoffmac

Re: X3 starter motor

Post by geoffmac »

I understand that the side starter covers and internals are all the same on all the bikes except the Kokusan models - so could be interested in any complete starter motor.
Ming

Post by Ming »

geoffmac wrote:I understand that the side starter covers and internals are all the same on all the bikes except the Kokusan models - so could be interested in any complete starter motor.
I'm not sure that's correct. Non ES bikes have a narrower cover, and the flywheel does not have the 'flange' for the starter shoes. At least, my Strada and ex-Kanguros were like that.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

geofmac is making the correct assumption that all the engines fitted with electric starters are the same- which they are, except for the proviso. His engine is an electric start but most of the bits are missing from inside the cover, I presume the engine must have the rimmed flywheel.
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

I think they're all the same, but in different ways...

:D

The solenoid and wiring on my late X3 starter is different and more robust looking than the one on my 82ish K Sport, and the starter shoes look different.

The one on the X3 works, which the K one never managed.

Were it not for the immense weight of the starter motor and beefy battery (a MotoBatt MB18U) I'd consider refitting the starter to my K... I'm leaving it on the X3 because it works and it'll be handy for those "fallen off for the 15th time in 100 yards" moments when off-road.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
geoffmac

Post by geoffmac »

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - it is an electric start bike, the solenoid and wiring is all there, it has the correct cover and the brake drum attached to the generator, its just that someone removed the complete starter motor. One of the attractions of the X3 was the electric start as I am now approaching 70 and don't fancy learning to use a LH kick start again. Hopefully someone will have one to sell.
Thanks for all your advice and comments
Geoff McGlddery
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I have starter motors on my 496 and 507 hybrid. The engines start at the touch of the button. Throw away the original solenoid, it won't conduct the current and fit one from something Japanese, mine are from a Kawasakis and the batteries are cheapest lead acid ones 20Ahr. The problem people have with the electric start is that they think are fit and forget. The brushes are the main problem as they wear quite quickly and won't conduct the current, so I fit lucas ones rather than pay through the nose for original ones. Also, the friction material wears away, so get the shoes relined if slipping occurs. It used to be advised to use an automatic centre punch on the inside of the drum to solve slipping but that just wears the friction material away quicker. Reline with 3/16" thickness and then chamfer so that the shoes just fit inside the drum when closed. Don't forget to check the oil in the gearbox. I did have an elderly chap come to me complaining the starter had stopped working and on inspection the gear oil had seeped into the electrical bit, so with the oil and all the carbon dust from the bushes it encapsulated the armature into a hard impervious mass.
geoffmac

Post by geoffmac »

Harry, thanks for this encouraging reply and for the practical tips. I intend to use a KTM lithium Ion battery to save space and weight and use the spare space to fit a small "Morgo" screw-off cartridge oil filter. Does that make sense?
Thanks
Geoff
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

Judging by my experiences, the X3 starter set up is a lot more robust than the earlier electric start bikes and should work fine with standard parts in good condition.

Unless there's a problem with the standard oil filters that I haven't heard about (in fact, if there is, don't tell me) I wouldn't bother with an additional external filter as it'd be adding potential failure points to something that's currently reliable.

Just my two-pennorth....
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Geoff, if you are copying my full flow external oil filter arrangement, then yes.