Coguaro Woes

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
jb666

Coguaro Woes

Post by jb666 »

Well I won an award for noisiest bike at a Morini Treffen a few years ago and today I started to investigate.

Step one - get a new battery as the old one had given up the ghost - £44 from Halfords with a trade card for a Yuasa YB18L.

Step two - install battery and turn engine over. Immediate sounds of loud clonking. Go indoors have a cup of tea.

Step three - remove starter as parts diagram differs from how I remember putting it back together. Check oil pump drive is OK while I'm there. AAARRRGGGHHH! It spins on the shaft. Gear next to it on the shaft clonks quite nicely too. May have found a cause.

Step four - check stator for movement. Has some end float - crankshaft converted to roller bearing a few years ago - and also a little up down. Not looking good. Also looks as though the belt is not well - about 15mm slack means the crank can move about 5 degrees before the slack is taken up to move the camshaft.

Step five - put bike back in garage and go and cut the grass.

After marching up and down for half an hour I think I'll take the pumpside casing off and see if I can tighten up the castellated nut and see what happens.

What's the worst that can happen!!
SupermotoDave

Re: Coguaro Woes

Post by SupermotoDave »

Loose oil pump drive on my 350 meant that the primary drive pinion was loose. Being a helical gear acceleration/deceleration moves the primary gear left And right as well as back and forward on the shaft which fretted the key and the key way and the shaft. The only cure was weld up the crank, grind back to size and cut a new slot on the other side. Not what anyone wants to hear.
David