Neutral light

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Timm

Neutral light

Post by Timm »

Hello, I'm Tim and live in Worcestershire. I acquired a 1986 Camel last year having not riden a bike for almost 20 years! After a few short trips up the lane and lots of stalling I've concluded a functioning neutral light would be useful. Optimistically hoping it might be the bulb, does anyone know if the bulbs are replaceable ? Many thanks Tim
Ming

Re: Neutral light

Post by Ming »

As far as I know, the bulbs are a common wedge type. You need to get to the underside of the lens unit to remove the bulb holder (don't know how you do that on a Camel).
Otherwise, you probably need to check the wiring to the indicator switch - which is near the gearbox drive sprocket under the alternator cover,
Haboola72

Post by Haboola72 »

If the bulbs OK and you still have problems check the feed to the switch , which is behind the brake pedal on the right hand side of the sump.Remove the wire to the switch (7mm brass nut ), switch on the ignition and earth the tip of the wire anywhere on the engine. The dash neautral light should come on.
Still not working? then remove the switch with great care (2 x 7mm bolts). The switch is placed above the oil level in the sump so don't panic!
In the hole you'll see the end of the selector shaft of the gearbox. It has a 3mm hole drilled eccentrically at about 5 o'clock if you are in neutral. this has a spring loaded 3mm brass pin which is the connection to earth when it comes in contact with the brass stud on the face of the switch (neutral). Both spring and pin are tiny and easily lost if the engine's been apart. The only thing keeping them in place is the switch.
If you've got this far you will have worked out how it all functions. If everything is there and you have a live feed it only remains to sync the switch to neutral . Loosen off the 2 bolts and you can move the switch on it's axis a few degrees either way, thus avoiding the light coming on when you select 1st or 2nd gear instead of neutral...
Butch

Post by Butch »

The neutral light on my Camel is the worst for lying that I've ever experienced on a bike. Regardless of it's illumination I always have to release the clutch most carefully.
Timm

Post by Timm »

I probably should have looked before posting the original question but having looked tonight the neutral light wiring is missing completely! I'll have a look if the switch works when I get a moment. Tim
Ming

Post by Ming »

Timm wrote:...the neutral light wiring is missing completely! ...
I'm not surprised - on my Strada the switch was just blanked off, but then we never needed a neutral light back in the good old days...