Kanguro X and X-1 frame differences

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Kanguro X and X-1 frame differences

Post by Steve Brown »

Odd one this, I picked up a Kanguro x/x1 project last week. Almost two bikes in bits with plenty of rust and debris. Having started stripping the frames and comparing them, an unexpected difference has shown up. At first I assumed the X frame was damaged by a frontal impact. The top spine tube under the tank has a nice curve in it, giving it a hunch back appearance. The horizontal tube below which carries the tranducers also has a gentle curve in it. The two front down tubes kink back slightly below the headstock. It appears staright, as in the wheels were in line. The gusset plate around the headstock are not warped or kinked and don't look as if they have been repaired/removed/re-welded.

Is there something I'm missing here? The X-1 frame doesn't have these 'features' but it has the same DGM number stamped by the frame number. Were the two frames different in this area? It all looks too neat to be accident damage and as said, I cant see any evidence of repair work.

If you know, please tell me! A mate want the X so we are hoping to build one bike using the two donors.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.