New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by Steve Brown »

That looks a nice job! I really ought to get on with making one for mine too, I've booked to ride the Coast to Coast run with the Trail Riders Fellowship in June.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Finally got a job done that I have wanted to do for ages. Getting to the air filters is such a pain in the butt, that I have chopped the top of the airbox where each filter resides for better axcess. Now I just remove tank, unscrew the strap and pull the filter out. :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMAG4361.jpg
IMAG4361.jpg (72.07 KiB) Viewed 7885 times
norbert

Post by norbert »

A good idea, even more in dusty areas like yours.

I hope you are not afected directly by this horrible fire :roll:

norbert
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

No fires where I live thankfully. A real mess on the east coast. Im west OZ.
I am hoping to acquire a frame for a 1971 Ducati 450 Scrambler (project) from a guy on the east coast. His vast collection of Ducati stuff has just (I hope) missed being incinerated.
Havn`t called him yet to confirm. He is a little eccentric as it is, let alone bloody fires threatening your retirement.
This gives you an idea of his stash. I hope he escaped without losing all this goodness !
http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/ ... play_media
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Picking up the remaining head today. Hope to reassemble the motor soon.

Is there a particular way the exhaust gasket should face ? From memory there looks like there is a seam on one side. Seam in, or out ?
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Finished assembling the bike today.

New pistons, rings, valves, seats, guides gaskets etc. Also what caused the stripdown was a buggered exhaust thread on the front cylinder. That has been repaired as well.

Also made a bashplate to protect it from stone/mud damage more so than rolling over big boulders bashing the underneath. Went around the block tonight and it runs sweet. Tomorrow I will take her up in the hills and do a shake down. I will take my balancer so I can check carb balance after an hour or so.

Feeling good.
IMAG4426.jpg
IMAG4426.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 7759 times
Attachments
IMAG4429.jpg
IMAG4429.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 7759 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Today I rode it up in the hills and met a mate. He has been in bikes all his life. Owned 50+ bikes I would say. He is having thoughts of getting an old school dirt bike. Something like a XT500 Yamaha. We got talking and there might be a plan hatched, riding across the desert to Ayers Rock and back.
I may well NEED a larger tank !!
We have both travelled those tracks many times before. Aprox 1000 kms road + 1000 dirt roads, one way.
Would love to get a picture of the bike with a real Camel in it !

Yesterday it got a oil change. 1st since rebuild. Valves checked. Carbs balanced. All good to go.

Anyway today I was just dreaming of doing it. It travels nice at 80 - 90 on the dirt. Red dust is good for spotting oil leaks. Of which, there is none yippy !
Attachments
IMAG4447_1.jpg
IMAG4447_1.jpg (137.2 KiB) Viewed 7711 times
IMAG4445.jpg
IMAG4445.jpg (116.47 KiB) Viewed 7711 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Did a ride yesterday of a couple hundred kms. 60 on road, the rest bush tracks. LOTS of gravel dust. A good test for the filters. By the way, are they washable ? I assume they are.
Bike went really well. Just a flat on the rear. Seems the tube had a crease split in it. It was a Chechaslavkian made tube ! Who knows how old. At last new tyre change I just told them to reuse the tube if it looks ok. I carried a spare and tools so only dropped about 30 minutes.

Got home and needed about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the front exhaust nut. This still has be wondering what is going on. New gasket, new thread and hose clamp on the pipe to stop it backing off.

Cheers.
Attachments
IMAG4513.jpg
IMAG4513.jpg (228.86 KiB) Viewed 7606 times
IMAG4511.jpg
IMAG4511.jpg (259.92 KiB) Viewed 7606 times
norbert

Post by norbert »

Very yery nice your Camel!!!

Just keep retightening this exhaust nut, the day will come that you can´t turn it anymore :wink: The new gaskets also have to settle down. And even with old gaskets the procedure is allways the same.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks.
Another funny moment. Apart from the older guy on the left (who was very knowledgeable) all the rest were surprised at the ease of taking the back wheel off. Leaving the chain and cush housing on the bike was a revelation to the youngsters.
I think the bike earnt some respect :lol:
huub

Post by huub »

great to see a camel used as intended! keep up the good work!
your camel sticks out compared to all the modern bikes.
if you are going to travel with a mate on a XT500 he will have a hard time keeping up with the camel , the off road capabilities of a camel are in a different leage
i used to ride with a mate with a XT500, even with modernised suspension the thing was a handfull off road.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Ross, it really looks good in the pics, even with modern company.
To me, a comment that was made about my Sport several years ago that it isn't a plastic motorbike, equally applies to a Camel as well.
OK, I'm 60, but the reason my modern bike is an Enfield is for the same reason - it just looks right, no vast amounts of 'styling' plastic on it.
Keep flying the flag Morini style!
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Bike is looking great and glad you've got it going nicely too. As for having all that bush to go riding in, well I'm not in the slightest bit jealous :wink:
I probably would need to travel 90+kms to find a track longer than a couple of miles. And it's been raining so long here I daren't try the local mudbaths without a recovery crew.

Keep it up and keep the pics coming. You'll never make me jealous!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So are the air filters washable ??
And I've tried to find a spare chain clip link. Impossible !
norbert

Post by norbert »

The filters you better blow them out, from the inside. I don´t think that we should wash them (at least I nerver tried).

I know that problem well with a spare chain clip link. It´s important to write the type of chain down in your little service-book or elsewhere, when you put it on. There are so many diferent types of O-X-Y-Z-ringchains on the market ... and every chain seems to need another clip link :evil: :roll: