New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by Steve Brown »

rossguzzi wrote:Well, I have a small problem.
Seems the headlight has stopped working. First I thought it was a blown fuse. But I mistook the park light as a fuse. I replaced the park light and that now works but the headlight high or low dosnt. Seems there is no power to the bulb.
Now I can fix most things, but electrics are my weakness.
I have checked and cleaned all connections and earths. They were all looking quite good and original. We have no salt on our roads in winter so corrosion is very minor.
Could it be the 12v coil has given up ? How would I check that ?
All other lights and indicators work.

Help :oops:
It could be the coil failed as you suggest, or the wiring/connections to it just as likely. Other than that it's the path of the AC from the flywheel to the switches via the various junction boxes etc. It doesn't need to be salt damage or damp either, just dried out joints can make enough resistance given time. So wiggle all the connections in that (grey I think) wiring or better still get a multimeter set to AC voltage, connect it up and run the engine. Even at tickover you should get plenty of volts.
If you still suspect the coil then a resistance test of the grey wire to earth through the coil will tell you, I hope.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Hi Steve,

Can you tell me in more detail how I would do a resistance test of the grey wire to earth through the coil ?
Sorry for this, but using meters is like playing with voodoo. How exactly do I do it ?

I put the meter on AC and checked the grey wire as it enters the regulator (?) near the breather box, and did not show 12v, something like 5. But Im not confident I set the meter right.

A mate of mine could help me but he is away for a week or so.

Cheers.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

rossguzzi wrote:Hi Steve,

Can you tell me in more detail how I would do a resistance test of the grey wire to earth through the coil ?
Sorry for this, but using meters is like playing with voodoo. How exactly do I do it ?

I put the meter on AC and checked the grey wire as it enters the regulator (?) near the breather box, and did not show 12v, something like 5. But Im not confident I set the meter right.

A mate of mine could help me but he is away for a week or so.

Cheers.
That was with the engine running right? the 5v? Not taking the P just making sure. If you are only getting 5 volts then that will explain everything (apart from what's wrong sadly!) I would then suspect a coil breaking down or (very) bad connection/breaking wire where it joins the coil.

For the resistance check set the meter to the Ohms scale. Stopped engine and connect leads (either way round) one to the grey lead from the flywheel/coil and the other to earth/the engine cases. You should get a low ohms reading probably almost zero. If the numbers are high or no circuit the coil is dead (or it's wire is)

I'm not much of an electrician either, and even less qualified to tell someone else how to do it! I could show you if you weren't so far away! Hopefully some one who's made a video will be along shortly.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Well, turned out to be just a faulty bulb. it did not look blown. But a new one in and presto.
Just shows that do the simple things first. I should have known :oops:
It was confusing though. Even my mate who has elec experience thought the earth was dodgy because the low beam would work with an additional temporary earth attached. Also there didnt seem to be the right power to the headlight.
All I can say is Bloody Electrics!
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I haven't done much lately, been busy. But the on off throttle response was improved by lubling the throttle to handle bar. Small things make big differences ! I did lube it before but obviously not down near the end. Ride much better now when slowly re applying throttle.
Got my package from Mdina in very short time. Seals for left hand side of motor, also clutch holding tool and the one to lock cam and crank. Also in the post was the rear shock seal kits. So have a few things to do now.
Updates to come.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So I have opened it up. It all looks good so when I get time I will start to fit the seals I got from Mdina (great postage. 1 week to Australia)
I think the leak was because there was no sealant between the clutch shaft and the slide on spacer.
No problem. New seals all through.
I will have to find some Hylamo or whatever it is they recommend.
More pics tomorrow.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Ross, although the manual recommends Hylomar you can use other jointing compounds to seal the shaft/spacer gap.
A thin compound is best.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

A thing of beauty !
Attachments
IMAG3752.jpg
IMAG3752.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
Dressed the rough spots down. Not too bad for 18000 kms.
Dressed the rough spots down. Not too bad for 18000 kms.
IMAG3744.jpg (91.45 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I have put all the seals in and tightened up the side case. But when I tighten up the clutch hub nut, I get no end play or free play at the clutch basket. It is running tight on the plastic shim.
When I pulled it apart, there was no metal shim along with the plastic shim.
It is part number 24 in the parts diagram.
If anyone has this shim handy, could you measure it ? I think it's 22mm id and aprox 28 od. But I don't know the thickness. If I can get measurements, hopefully I can get one here instead of Italy.
Or if anyone knows where to find the directions on how to set end float, I would appreciate it.
Cheers.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Ross, look at the Youtube Morini clutch rebuild videos and search the forum for information on shimming the clutch.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I have been watching Paul's video. It has been a great help. I will search this forum when I get a chance. Dinner at work right now.
Cheers.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Bike is back together and runs nice.

On reflection;

I probably did the clutch hub nut up a bit tight. I backed it off and then did it up to about 10nm. The metal shim is not there but the back of the hub has been worn where it was rubbing on the plastic thrust washer. So Im not sure if I need the metal shim at all.
Clutch is working fine. A bit hard to get into N but otherwise its good.

After a good run I will then be happy regarding oil leaks. Just a 15 minute ride around the hood is probably not going to prove it.

So jobs completed;

Re torqued heads,
Re adjusted valves,
All new oil seals in left hand side case.
Clutch cleaned, inspected and reassembled.

Jobs left to do;

Front and rear suspension overhauls.
I`ve got the rear kits and am thinking of getting Paul Comptons fork emulator adaptors. I would like to get the suspension as good as possible.

Cheers !
Attachments
IMAG3760_BURST003.jpg
IMAG3760_BURST003.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 7065 times
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

rossguzzi wrote: I would like to get the suspension as good as possible.

Cheers !
Glad you're getting there. Ref the suspension though, I actually think it's pretty good! I've been pleasantly surprised how well mine rides on the tracks and trails so far. For such a big and heavy bike it's quite confidence inspiring for an off-road novice like me. I'm actually getting up to the higher gears occasionally now! :shock: That's mainly the forks I'm speaking of-now I've got the rear ride height correct they feel great even with my guesstimated amount of fork oil.
When I built the bike I made the silly mistake of ordering my fancy new rear shocks about 20mm too short. I then happened across a pair of Paiolis of the correct length and spring rate. So my first impressions of a slow steering lardy boat of a bike was soon modified! That 20mm makes all the difference! The damping on these old Paiolis is nothing special compared to my fancy new shocks. luckily I can still go back to them as I found the makers can do me a pair of replacement longer end eyes off the shelf. So soon I'll have a sharp steering light feeling bike with decent and adjustable rear damping. Luxury :) Even getting it onto the centre stand is less of a heave.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I just looked up Paioli but there is no listing for shocks, only fronts. Can you take a pic of yours ? I am going to fit a kit into the Marzocchi`s but if they don`t give me a good feel, I may look into other units.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

rossguzzi wrote:I just looked up Paioli but there is no listing for shocks, only fronts. Can you take a pic of yours ? I am going to fit a kit into the Marzocchi`s but if they don`t give me a good feel, I may look into other units.
I'm not sure they are still making bike stuff? I probably misled you with my ramble above anyway-The Paioli shocks I have fitted are nothing special. They are secondhand and unknown vintage but the worst aspect is the damping is very light and not adjustable. So I'm not recommending those, it's my (slightly too short) modern replacements that are adjustable and as bang up to date as twin shocks can ever be. I got them from 'The Shock Factory' in France from their '2win' range. Top quality stuff and made to order/your specs. They are helping me out of my blunder with replacement parts of the right length, happily.

If you still want pics I can get some of the Paiolis but like I said they're nowt special and the original Marzocchis once rebuilt I'm sure are better.