New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by rossguzzi »

I think I will try 10 and see. It`s no big job to drain and put in 5w if I don't like it.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So front forks are now 10wt oil and new seals. Got some rubber boots to protect them as well.

Next is some hand guards, new bars (original ones were bent and straightened by previous owner) and fit a new timing belt. Exhaust gasket in front head needs a look at.

To be continued !
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Bars and guards fitted.
Attachments
IMAG0003.jpg
IMAG0003.jpg (230.51 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
IMAG0004.jpg
IMAG0004.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So I got to take it on some dirt tracks for the first time.
Impressions.
It handles well. Feels like a 250 compared to my 990 !
Suspension is not as plush as my 990. A bit basic, but not too bad. My hopes to get emulators in the front were dashed when Soren (Netherlands) said it`s not as easy to fit as in a 350 road forks. I may still pursue this.
Bars are a little higher than stock, but I may even fit 20mm risers. When standing they feel a little low.
May try a smaller pilot jet. There is a little hesitation re applying the throttle. Im down to 1/2 a turn out (from full in) on the mixture screw. Bike started first kick cold without choke this morning.
Really happy with it.

The not so good ?
Well the front brake is ok for loose dirt but weak for the road. I`m ok with that.
Better off road tyres will be fitted soon.
The clutch is all new and still a little grabby. Will be better when fueling is sorted. But the 2 together is tricky.
Not much else :D
Attachments
IMAG0006.jpg
IMAG0006.jpg (137.59 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
IMAG0008.jpg
IMAG0008.jpg (131.21 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0007.jpg (145.29 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

It's looking good there Ross. How did you feel about the forks now you've added some spacers on the fork springs?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

They dont have the slop (if I can call it that ) in the top of the stroke now. They are firm when at speed hitting holes etc. It is probably not fair as Im use to my well sorted KTM 990 Adventures plushness.
Ive been working on the fueling today. Pilot jet was 52. Ive now gone down to 48. It feels smoother off/on throttle. I may even go down one more.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

See if this works.
https://youtu.be/WqGcfsEsrP0
A few drive by`s for you :)
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Help !!

Disclaimer.
I am confident in all things except electrical.

I wanted to get my Tomtom mounted and wired in. No probs mounting it, but being a clutz when it comes to wiring, I completely frustrate myself :oops:
I have checked with a amp meter in the headlight and fuse box but can't seem to find 12v anywhere.
Where can I connect the red and black wires of the device to the bike ?? Someone said it may work on 6v but I'm not sure. I had it wired into the fuse box on my 990 just fine.
If you can suggest where to connect to, can I ask you to be quite precise ....... please ??

Fitted rear rack that I got from Angelo (thanks again). Will post pics tomorrow as I`m hoping to do a ride in our forest. I needed the rack to take spare tubes and tools as it is quite remote.

Cheers.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Ross, if your bike is standard you won't have 12volts, apart from the AC supply to the dip switch/headlamp bulb. Your battery will be 6 volt and if you check with your multimeter there will be be a 6 volt switched supply on the fusebox. A good place to take it from will be the circuit feeding the brake light. On Morini original wiring I think that could be brown or maybe purple...use your meter to find out. I'm pretty sure 6 volt will work your satnav too.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Or, try finding the indicator flasher relay and suss out which is the supply of 6 volts to that, then connect your Tom Tom red wire to that. The black can go to any convenient earth point or blue wire connection.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks guys, will report back how I went.

Just hope I don't blow it up !
I did that once to a power point in a house using a multimeter :shock: Thought I would learn how to use them...mistake !
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Woke up and wired it into the fuse box. There was 6v according to my multimeter, but did not want to charge the Tomtom. So I went for a ride anyhow. Beautiful conditions. Cool, no dust and only passed 1 car. Or he passed the other way doing about 100 with a trailer in tow.
I think I nearly have the jetting nailed. On a long uphill it seems to be lacking a little at about 1/4 throttle. I may try a plug chop. Think it needs perhaps the clip on the needle dropped 1 groove.
Had a ball today :D
Attachments
IMAG3862.jpg
IMAG3862.jpg (352.71 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Yep, dropped the clip one notch and it is spot on now. Pulls clean from I guess 2500 rpm to high rpm.
I saw on a spec sheet that they have 13 lt tank. I can only fit in 10 from empty.
Currently getting 25 km/lt.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Correction, 20 kpl.
Fitted some knoblies. Feels better in the dirt now.
Todays ride was blis. Dropped the tyre pressures for dirt and it all felt quite good. Just hitting deep potholes in the gravel at 80kph I have to get off the seat a bit.
Really liking this bike.
Attachments
IMAG3892_1_1.jpg
IMAG3892_1_1.jpg (116.46 KiB) Viewed 7148 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Rode it yesterday in the forest and still has the odd tiny stumble when I reapply the throttle. Only sometimes. But the clutch has always been very grabby. Went to bed last night thinking about it. This morning I took it apart and put the beveled steel plate on the outside instead of the inside. Fixed ! Smooth clutch now .
Hope this can help others.