New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by rossguzzi »

Mine has an open muffler.
I didnt check what slide I have.
Today I tried adjusting the idle mixture but as I expected, it didnt solve the stumble. Which is only a bit and only sometimes. But I am fussy :wink:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Check the carb balance, especially the off idle where both carbs should be working together. I have found this to help. ie both columns of the gauges must move together when you gently open the throttle.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So I stripped the carbs again tonight. I have found the needles for the slide are X1. I cant see another number after the 1. It seems it should be X8.
Clip is on the bottom groove. I moved it recently to the bottom one when I felt the bike was not pulling up a long hill as it should. I moved the clip to the bottom groove and rode the hill again and it was improved. So I feel I have got the needle as good as can be with this needle. Pic below shows the colour of the plugs. Not bad I thought. Back one was a bit more black than the front.
But I am wondering now if I have the completely wrong needle in it ?? May go to my local Guzzi man tomorrow and see if he has X8`s.

Slide is 40. All other jets seem to be the right ones.
Floats are 11g and weighed them. They are correct and the same. They seem black, not brown.

Previously I have balanced the carbs with my mercury sticks and they were rising and falling very evenly.

Apart from this I did find a not so good connection between the rear header and the collector before the muffler. This could be why on the over run it pops ? Its a hand made 2 into 1 collector. I will have to make a shim to take up the slop in the joint.

Also I started to hear a chain noise today. Inspection revealed the white nylon chain guide on top of the swingarm just before the front sprocket has gone :shock:
Could someone post a pic of what it looks like ? I will have to make one I guess.

To be continued. :)
Attachments
IMAG3933.jpg
IMAG3933.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Ross,

It doesn't seem like you are far out. And its worth, as you are checking things, to get it right, its your bike and you want it to be the best it can be.
I have a table with the dimensional differences between the various needles, I doubt whether X8 is that much different though.
But anyway from the drawings you can see whether it enriches or weakens and at what throttle opening. I will check later.
Roadster models initially had X1 needle but I think it was changed X23?, I remember Arthur Farrow, Benjy Straw and others in the early 80s spending time getting it right
However changes in fuel over the decades means waht worked well then might not be quite right now.
Did you check the atomiser number.
For sure to close up the joint between collector and muffler, cant do any harm.
I still think that you should double check the float height.

By the way did you check the ignition timing and advance is correct? and equal on both cylinders.

Mark
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I got some x8 needles and 45 pilot jets. Atomisers and everything else is as it should be. Started first kick, balanced ect but have not ridden it as I need to make the other chain slider on the swing arm. I got a block of poly, just need time to make it.
Timing was checked. Advance on both seem right. New plugs. Valve gaps set. Only other thing I could do is change leeds and plug caps wich look new. One float needed a slight tweek of one float.
There is quite a difference between the 2 slide needles. Will be very interesting to feel the results.
TBC.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Ross

X1 main diameter 2.48 tip diameter 1.20.
X8 main diameter 2.50 tip diameter 1.40

All other dimension same. X8 is therefore leaner needle.

I think you said is was improved by dropping the X1 needle so that makes sense.

If any one wants the dimensions of other X series let me know and I will try to upload- its difficult with a picture on here
because of the size limit and resolution isn`t good enough.

Mark
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Mark & Ross, from the notes I've made over the years of carbs fitted to 500 Camels.

UK Camels (MkI & II)
Needle X1 3rd notch/X8 4th notch
Pilot 45/42
Main 125/122
Starter 48
Slide 40
Atomiser 264CE
Float jet 200
Float 11gr

Later imported MkIII
Needle X8 4th notch
Pilot 43
Main 125
Starter 48
Slide 40
Atomiser 264CE
Float jet 200
Foat 11gr

All the above settings work well with the original exhaust, yet my Mk I had a hesitation/stumble when opening the throttle from tick over which was cured by replacing the 45 pilot with a 42.
As my original exhausts have long gone I now use the following settings

Needle X1 3rd notch
Pilot 42
Main 128
Starter 48
Slide 40
Atomiser 264CE
Float jet 200
Float 11gr

Have also seen 48 Pilots, 265T & BC264 (altered with solder) atomisers on Camels.

Finally, how far out you have to screw the Pilot adjuster out is often a good indication of whether the jet is wildly out.

Have fun, Ian
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Thanks Ian.
Real world data is so much more useful than printed/Internet information which is often inaccurate.
seems like X1 versus X8 needle and 42 versus 45 pilot..

Mark
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

In one of my Blue books the carb setting table has a column in pen at the end with the following.

Sahara (as Camel was called in Anglophone speak)
Atomiser 264CE
Jet needle X1-3a (3a means third notch?)
Throttle valve 40

The 500 has two lots of settings US and everywhere else

Main 125 (US 128)
Pilot 50 (US 42)
Strartr jet 48
Float weight 14gr
Float level 10mm

Hope it helps.

Mike
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Just had a quick 10 min ride and it feels much better. I might need to adjust the slide needle as it feels a little lacking just before it comes onto the main jet. Got to go to work now. :roll:
Also made a new chain block for the swingarm. Works a treat.
TBC.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I think I've nailed it.
I moved the needle clip down to the bottom notch and she is riding sweet. No more stutters off idle and the slight lack of power I felt yesterday has gone. Just nice smooth power all the way now.
Need to run it for a longer ride to be completely sure, but the short run today is a good sign.
One more job just for my own sense of comfort is to pull apart swingarm bearings and check.
Thanks to all for your inputs. The bike is riding SWEET !
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Ross
Brilliant :D
A beautiful bike that runs well love it.
Can you remind us of your jets and settings for the record.
Thanks
Mark
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

7 posts above had the info.

x8 needles, clip on bottom groove, 40 slides, 122 mains, 45 pilot, 264CE atomiser, 11g floats.

I plan to ride it up a fairly long hill (for here) and to do a plug check. It has even made the clutch feel smoother because the throttle is more controllable.

Looking forward to my next dirt ride. :D
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Had just one semi reasonable ride on it since the last post and I am happy with the jetting. It pulled up the hill to get to the trails nicely. No stuttering. Got home and checked the balance and it was off. So without removing the tank I adjusted them back to even running. I carefully removed a tiny bit of the airbox so I can now slide the rubber cable shroud up enough to get to the adjusters. I think doing it without the tank off and then replacing the tank moves the cables around enough to unbalance them. My theory anyway.

While I am here, I have a favour to ask you guys.

I am on the lookout for a Ducati 450 Scrambler frame and handlebars. Basically I owned it once (see pic) and may be buying it back as a basket case. Would love to rebuild it in memory of the last owner. RIP
Any leads appreciated.
Attachments
scrambler.jpg
scrambler.jpg (473.43 KiB) Viewed 6462 times
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Clocked up 300 ks today. Fitted my Giant Loop bag so I can go down south in a few weeks time camping. Just needed to try it out loaded and get a good idea of fuel consumption. It ran dry at 211 kms. I carried a 5 lt container in the bag. I`m sure my tank only takes 10 lts. I get about 2 kms on reserve. New fuel taps, so they work ok. Bag works well. I needed to fit an alloy bar from the footpeg bracket to the rack to stop the bag hitting the springs etc.
I have the jetting almost perfect now. I know I have said that before, but it really is close to perfect now.

The bike is real fun to ride. Adequate power off road, a little slow for the open road, but I'm ok with sitting at 90 - 100. If I need to it will do 120, but yeh, 95 it cruises. Off road it's fun. Enough power to get the back wheel sliding out of turns with suspension good enough for most occasions I am going to throw at it.
Attachments
IMAG3947.jpg
IMAG3947.jpg (321.71 KiB) Viewed 6406 times
IMAG3946.jpg
IMAG3946.jpg (137.76 KiB) Viewed 6406 times