New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by rossguzzi »

That`s ok. I googled the Shock Factory and had a look at them. Looks good. I might go this way if the Marzocchi`s are crap after rebuild.

I am a bit spoilt. One of my other bikes is a KTM 990 Adv with suspension sorted to suit. It glides over almost anything. Not expecting the same with the Camel, but I do like to get the best a bike can be.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Did the factory use red silicon to join the engine cases together, or have I got a motor that has been split by a previous owner ??

I have cured all the oil leaks !!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

rossguzzi wrote:Did the factory use red silicon to join the engine cases together, or have I got a motor that has been split by a previous owner ??
I think at some times they did...I think...
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mine had red hermitshite, but the motor had been apart as I found a washer in the crankcase and the goo was everywhere, including heads, barrels, pushrods... You name it had it
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So it seems that perhaps the engine has not been split before.

Well today was embarrassing.

After work I stopped at a bike shop to see if they had a throttle cable repair kit. Mine is starting to fray. I gave it a kick and it started first kick (fairly normal) but the kick starter fell off !
Now I put it on after I replaced the oil seals. But I do remember thinking, the bolt holding the lever on is the ONLY non original bolt on the whole bike ! And it failed !
I think it is partially cross threaded and I was wary of over tightening it.

Bloke came out and lent me a cable tie to get home. So now the cover has to come off again to reset the starter spring......bugger.
Oh well, lucky it wasnt out in the bush somewhere.

Cheers.

Oh big thanks to Angelo for the package he sent me.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

rossguzzi wrote:So it seems that perhaps the engine has not been split before.

Well today was embarrassing.

After work I stopped at a bike shop to see if they had a throttle cable repair kit. Mine is starting to fray. I gave it a kick and it started first kick (fairly normal) but the kick starter fell off !
Now I put it on after I replaced the oil seals. But I do remember thinking, the bolt holding the lever on is the ONLY non original bolt on the whole bike ! And it failed !
I think it is partially cross threaded and I was wary of over tightening it.

Bloke came out and lent me a cable tie to get home. So now the cover has to come off again to reset the starter spring......bugger.
Oh well, lucky it wasnt out in the bush somewhere.

Cheers.

Oh big thanks to Angelo for the package he sent me.
I wouldn't have thought you need to take the cover off again? Just engage the lever on the splines a few mm before it can go over the cast on 'stop' for the kick lever. There is a figure in the blue book of around 15 or 18 mm. It isn't too critical though. This means the lever is what stops the mechanism going too far forward, when it contacts the lug on the casting.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Ok, yeh you are probably right. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for that.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I tried to put the kick starter back on but it's lost it`s tension.
So this afternoon I removed the side cover again. Just as well. Where I was meant to use Hyloma I used some other stuff that didn`t work. There was a bit of oil getting in.
I am also going to get a seal saver made for the primary shaft seal to slide over on install.
I might even get new clutch plates. Steels to. If I can find some for sale.
So it is going to be off the road for a bit. It will be worth it.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Dieter Hoffmann in Germany offers complete sets of SURFLEX clutch plates (friction and steel) for 79€ (plus shipping) http://www.morinicorse1@aol.com Dieter is a very nice and simpatic guy and thrustworthy :wink:

norbert
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks Norbert, I will contact him today.
Attachments
IMAG3777.jpg
IMAG3777.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
Angelo63

Post by Angelo63 »

The handle cushion looks really pretty!
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Yes I like it a lot. Thanks for getting it for me Angelo :D
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Update;

Got another package from Mdina today. Clutch center, airbox to carb rubbers, Kick start pivot block and a few gaskets/washers.
I must say they pack and send very efficiently.

Just checking. The beveled thrust washer that goes on before the primary gear and clutch. Should the bevel face in or out ?
I am sure it was facing out, but looking at drawings/manual, it looks to face in.

Cheers.

PS,
Getting new throttle and clutch cables made up. Waiting for my new clutch plates to arrive.
:D
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Ha, my front brake caliper/lever assy arrived wrapped in some brown paper, shaking around inside a box! I was not as impressed as you clearly are.
DD
MRC 3082½
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Update,
I received the new clutch inner drum and plates, assembled. Installed new clutch and throttle cables. Still waiting for the rear shocks to be refreshed with seals, bladders, oil and nitrogen. Then it will be almost as I want. Oh except for the electric start which I think I will need. Just getting over an operation. Won`t go into details, but my stomach strength for kick starting is not quite the same as before.
Oh yeh, Still need to replace front fork seals.
To be continued.