New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by rossguzzi »

Update,
Even though the bike looks quite good, I have been going through it fixing many small things.
Fuel tank fiberglass leak fixed.
Engine oil renewed. Valves adjusted.
Carbs cleaned and kits fitted. New fuel lines.
New plugs fitted. It had BP6ES in it. I have read it should have 8`s. So I put BP8ES in it. Old plugs were running black. Quite sooty.
Rear wheel bearings fitted. Chain cleaned, re lubed. Rear brake serviced.
Swingarm lubed.
Gearchange shafts and linkages lubed.
Center stand rubbers reinstalled. Side stand rubber installed. They no longer hit each other when up.
New front guard fitted.

Still to do.

Front wheel/brake overhaul.
Steering head bearings overhaul.

Bike runs nice except just off idle when getting back on the power there is a bit of a cough/splutter before she runs clean again. In the shed it revs up nice. Mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out. Carbs balanced using mercury sticks. I did forgot to check float level when carbs were apart. Plug leads look original. Not sure if either one of these may be causing the sputter.
Throttle is a bit stiff. Cleaned out the throttle housing. I am wondering if the springs in the carbs cant be replaced with a set a bit softer. I know they need to have enough spring to return slide from high RPM. But I might get a set made 20% softer and see.

All in all, its nice to ride. Real happy.

Re S/S filter. If I get one, I will let you know what I think.
Cheers.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Ross, regarding the stainless filter. I've not heard about them either, is it a multi layer, fine mesh thing that replaces the original screen? I'm only asking as I can't imagine how anything else would go in there and wonder if it wouldn't be a bit restrictive as it is in the intake for the pump rather than a pressure side filter? Just curious.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Hi Steve,

Yes it is as you describe. It fits between 2 adaptors, one each end that fit into the cases. The filter is a pleated, commercially available one. Filters far better than the strainer that is original.
Im not advocating everyone should do this. I don't know how successful they have been.
I am interested because I think it filters much better, down to 35 microns, which is much smaller than now.

I am curious to know if the air filters should be oiled or not. I did spray mine with K&N air filter oil. But am wondering if that is causing my slight rough running just off idle under load. (lean running) Anyone know ? I have scanned through the service book, but it does not mention anything but servicing them, but just to replace. Surely they can be serviced ? Not sure if they are still available. ??

Cheers.
Attachments
IMAG3601.jpg
IMAG3601.jpg (172.6 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Ross, I'm sure that will be a great filter then. But! (you knew that was coming, didn't you?) I'd worry about the flow through it particularly with cold oil. OK cold may not be a problem for you most of the time, but the oil is being drawn through that screen by the pump suction only-no pressure other than atmospheric and/or gravity to speak of. A good few people have plumbed a proper paper element filter in the pressure feed side. That is much more modern and positive, I only object to the external plumbing being vulnerable to knocks (on a trail bike particularly) and the visual aspect. It works well though!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti upgrades or mods, I have been known to try a do myself, but I'd reckon that with the mileage you'll do on this bike and the frequency of oil changes I suspect that you'll be doing can be dealt with by the original screen perfectly well.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

No problem Steve. Not even sure I will get one yet.

Worked tonight till I had enough. Front end off, forks feel like there is little oil in them, front brake has near new shoes but wasn't adjusted right.
I took off top triple clamp and thought with a little persuasion the head stem would tap down out of the top bearing. I was only using a rubber mallet, but it wasn't moving.
Am I missing something here ? I get that the bearings are in retainers that are pressed into the top and bottom of the head tube (frame). But shouldn't the head stem tap down and out ?

Cheers.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Those taper bearings are often very tight on the stem. Every one I've done has been anyway. I can't see any need for them to be so tight so I eased the stem down with a little wet and dry when I fitted the new bearings. They could also be corroded in place as well of course. As you're replacing the bearings I would try a bit of heat on the inner race.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks again, will continue today.

Cheers.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Got the bearings out, thanks. Just cleaned everything up, top bearing in, tomorrow morning will put the bottom one in (in freezer now) Might use the hairdryer on the frame first. Top one was a tight fit.
While everything is out, I might replace the fork oil.

Cheers.
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Air filters? They are dry as standard. They should be replaced, but can be cleaned and reused either (traditionally)in petrol or with an air line. Do not use oil.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks Dave. I didn't know they were a dry only filter. I`m going to take them out again and wash and reinsert dry. Hopefully that fixes the slight stumble down low.
Cheers.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Got head stem bearings on. Tomorrow going to get some O rings to help seal the dust cap to retainer. There was 1 in the top when I disassembled. Im thinking there should be one top and bottom.
Attachments
IMAG3614.jpg
IMAG3614.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Ross, there is only an O ring on the bottom and it is much easier to fit if you put it over the bearing retainer on to the frame and pull it down in position after you have fitted the yokes/stem to the frame.
As it mostly sits towards the outside to fill the gap you can also fit a slightly thicker and tighter O Ring if you wish, which helps to keep out the dirt and water.

And look after it; pull it back up to clean and lubricate it.

Trust this helps, Ian
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks Ian,
I thought the O ring was on the top. But thinking about it, it probably was on the bottom. I have sourced a thin one that fits nicely on the top. So there is less chance of crap entering now. I also relieved the stem a little so the top bearing slides on with less effort.
Thats all for today.
Cheers.

Tomorrow I hope to drain the forks. I hope clean oil comes out !!
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Oil wasn't too bad. 400 ml of Auto trans fluid for now. Will see how that feels and perhaps change SAE 10 if need be later. Front end now back on bike. Front brake cleaned, serviced. Wheel bearings checked. Wheel balanced.
More soon.
Last edited by rossguzzi on 12 Mar 2019 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Found in one carb, the floats were at different levels. Fixed, and checked the other one. All good. But the someone has lowered the clip on the needle. So I put them, according to the info I could find, to 3rd groove down.
Washed the oil out that I sprayed onto the air filters, dried and reassembled. Balanced them again. BP8ES plugs fitted instead of the 6`s.
Stumbling is better. Just a slight hesitation rolling on the throttle.

Front end all done. Centre stand that was bare metal is now painted.
Only things need doing;
Kick start seal. Rear shock seals/service.
Everything is working so I am going to try to get it licenced soon.