And another Camel

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Sheikh

And another Camel

Post by Sheikh »

Coming together very nicely, but I'm looking forward to getting it muddy.
And sorry about the mudguard Steve.
Hugo
Attachments
Camel 8 Feb.jpg
Camel 8 Feb.jpg (188.3 KiB) Viewed 5808 times
rossguzzi

Re: And another Camel

Post by rossguzzi »

Nice one. Had it long ?
I also want front fork gators like yours.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Sheikh wrote:And sorry about the mudguard Steve. Hugo
I'll never forgive you! I hope you checked he didn't have a box full in his van :?: Your cowling is still here with me at the moment. I'm not holding it for ransom against a rear mudguard-honest. I just haven't managed to get the geezer to answer the phone yet :roll:

Your new bike looks great too, it looks like you made the bash plate already? And what are those rear shocks?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Any close ups of bash plate ? Thinking of doing one for mine.
Sheikh

Post by Sheikh »

Bash plate is made from 3mm ally by Scott Carpenter. It fixes to the lower front engine plate fittings, and to the centre stand fitting at the rear. Obviously that means that you sacrifice the ability to fit a centre stand, but having a flat base means that you've got a decent means of supporting the bike on a bench or bike lift. I wish I'd fitted one sooner. The lower tubes on the other Camel have taken a pounding.

I would like to modify the footrests. I like to run with the 'rests in quite a low position but that means that the cleated section isn't parallel to the ground so they dig into the instep of your boot when you're standing. It'd be easy to cut off the cleated section and re-weld in the correct position but I'm strangely reluctant to sacrifice a pair of the original chrome plated pegs from the Camel. Does anyone have a damaged or spare set that they'd sell me? I guess they are the same on a Kanguro. Or is there an off the shelf option?

No rush on the cowling Steve.
Attachments
20190210_170705_resized.jpg
20190210_170705_resized.jpg (322.62 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Sheikh

Post by Sheikh »

Oh, and rear shocks are cheap Sebacs that came with the bike. I'm expecting them to disgorge all their damping oil as soon as they're asked to deal with anything substantial. The other bike has a pair of NBS shocks which are a bit soft, but work OK.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Very nice. I may try to keep the center stand, so might try to cut a small one the fits between the down tubes. I will be careful not to bang into big rocks.
Cheers.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Hugo, the footrests on the Kanguros are welded to the frame and the Camels with round tube frames have footrests that I think are unique to them. The way I got round it when fitting the electric starter kit was to use old bent and broken footrests from the road models. NLM had a good selection of crash damaged items to rummage through. I keep an eye out for them still when bits come up for sale. I think the cleated rests I used came from In Motion trials rather than try to cut and remount the originals. That way I still have the originals ready to use if ever the bike goes back to standard.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Good news Sheikh, just managed to speak to the fibreglass guy and he is willing to take a look at the instrument pod project. I will be meeting him at the Newark autojumble weekend after next 24th Feb. We'll see what he says then, but I'm sure it will be a goer, anyone else interested form a queue here please.

Also this is the same guy who made my Mk1 side panels and he does a great job at reasonable prices. Sforza Racing in Lincolnshire.