Kanguro throttle cables.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Kanguro throttle cables.

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi all, just tried fitting three new cables to my mates Kangu and only one is correct! What a surprise! Anyhow my real questions are,

1) what make of twistgrip did the Kanguro X and X1 originally have? Verlicci or Domino maybe? Anyone know please? I'm trying to work out if the top cable is actually wrong or the twistgrip is the culprit.

2) Also, those of you who make your own cables-what do you do for the small nipples like for the throttle slide and cable splitter? I make my own cables where possible but can't work out what to do about these tiny fittings.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Greybeard

Re: Kanguro throttle cables.

Post by Greybeard »

For the small nipples, Steve, I got a length of small bore copper tube from a local model shop. They often have a good range of tubing etc in brass, copper or aluminium that comes in useful for all sorts of jobs. The bigger sized nipples I normally knock up on the lathe but I appreciate not everybody has access to one.

Steve
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Greybeard wrote:For the small nipples, Steve, I got a length of small bore copper tube from a local model shop. They often have a good range of tubing etc in brass, copper or aluminium that comes in useful for all sorts of jobs. The bigger sized nipples I normally knock up on the lathe but I appreciate not everybody has access to one.

Steve
Thanks Steve, good tip. Do you then solder them or crimp? I'm thinking that the usual splaying out of the strands won't be easy or even possible!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Haboola72

Post by Haboola72 »

hello Steve,
push bike cables have smaller nipples. Length is then a problem, the run to the front brake can often be too short!

Pete
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

To answer both the above. I do solder the nipples on the throttle cable and it is still possible to splay out the end prior to soldering. The load is much lower than that on brake and clutch cable. Bicycle brake cables are too thick for throttle cables but gear cables are perfect for throttles, choke, etc. They are long enough to cover every eventuality on a motorbike because they are long enough to reach the full length of a bike and more, and come as a standard length.
My R100RT throttle cables both started life as bicycle gear cables - a fraction of the cost of BMW jobs :wink:
Gear cable outer is wound differently to avoid compression in order to keep the gear change mech constant and is too stiff, but more flexible outer cable can be bought by the foot from decent bike shops.

Steve