Kanguro refresh

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Cosmo

Re: Kanguro refresh

Post by Cosmo »

rossguzzi wrote:Very cool !

So for the electrically disabled persons (me) does what you just say mean I could do it to my mk1 Camel too ?
I suspect that's very likely although you'd need to check how that's wired. It is probably very similar to the early 6v/12v Kanguros. Wire colours vary, but follow the guides on the NL morini website and find a wiring diagram for your bike. I didn't have one, so took a while, but Boyer were helpful . The NL pages show a 12v conversion by altering the generator, but if you go the Boyer route that's not needed and the generator is left alone. The only wiring changes are in the old battery box. The 12v main headlighting circuit can be rerouted to the Boyer feed rather than off the generator if you want, so the two circuits pretty much are left alone on the original wiring. You may also need to tweak some connections in the headlight as there's a strange pilot light arrangement in the standard Kanguro headlight, but I changed bar switchgear too so did a bit more than strictly needed.
See Boyer info here http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/Power_Box_Leaflet.pdf and here...http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/PBOX00109.pdf
Last edited by Cosmo on 20 Aug 2019 15:47, edited 2 times in total.
Cosmo
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada & 350 Kanguro special
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Very interesting, thanks.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Cosmo,
Please could you add some photos and details of the sidestand, and how you mounted it to the frame? I and several others are all trying to sort out sidestands for old Kanguro X models (the one with the sidestand mount on the swingarm).

If you also happen to have details of the rear light unit that'd be helpful too. And did you use the standard rear mudguard or what?

Your bike is achingly beautiful, thank you so much for sharing the details.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

julianharty wrote:Cosmo,
Please could you add some photos and details of the sidestand, and how you mounted it to the frame? I and several others are all trying to sort out sidestands for old Kanguro X models (the one with the sidestand mount on the swingarm).

If you also happen to have details of the rear light unit that'd be helpful too. And did you use the standard rear mudguard or what?

Your bike is achingly beautiful, thank you so much for sharing the details.
Hi,
Yes will do, but mine had a factory lug on the frame behind the footpeg although the previous owner had welded on a bolt on generic one forward of that. I had to grind that superfluous lug away and make good.
No new parts were available from NLM/medina or anywhere, so I originally modified a pattern "pit bike" one from e-bay. You'll need a long one - 384/385mm and will need to use a different through bolt with a locknut on the back. It was cheap, fits well and the stand spring and retainer is in the right place and doesn't foul the swing arm, although it is rather lightweight and was easily bent. I used a bolt sleeve for spacing and a long SS allen bolt bolted through the mount and into the thread in the stand AND with a locknut on the back. Search "pit bike stand 384 or 385mm" It does the job for now, but I bent mk1 and had to replace it with same.
I have now welded up a permanent stouter version using the bolt lug cut from the bent Chinese one. Same length, but made out of 3mm + thick tube. I drilled through the tube at the spring retainer pin position and welded a long M4 bolt in there. Once ground off flush and roundheaded it looks factory. A sturdy footplate thick washer was welded on the bottom at an angle to suit. After powder coating it's spot on but I haven't got photos of it I'm afraid as I'm grounded and the bike's not here.
Pics of version 1 here if they help.
Ok
Attachments
IMG_20190817_180023-01.jpeg
IMG_20190817_180023-01.jpeg (139.91 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
IMG_20190817_180109-01.jpeg
IMG_20190817_180109-01.jpeg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
SlimSocial-15.jpg
SlimSocial-15.jpg (141.08 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
Last edited by Cosmo on 10 Apr 2020 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Here's a couple more photos of the frame mounted stand.
Attachments
IMG_20190817_180131-01.jpeg
IMG_20190817_180131-01.jpeg (140.99 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
IMG_20190817_180210-01.jpeg
IMG_20190817_180210-01.jpeg (114.95 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
Cosmo
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Hi again Julian, the mudguard was a new one from the "vintage" range now being re-made by UFO plastics. The Scout enduro PP01208-41. I give you the reference because they do different sizes and the one you think will fit was way too big. It comes with the light and that or the Acerbis equivalent is exactly what the hardcore enduro guys were fitting in the 80's to all sorts of machines - see internet pic of an ubercool later box section framed bike here, and the kwak next to it with the Acerbis guard. :shock:
Attachments
morinilight.jpg
morinilight.jpg (100.84 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
Cosmo
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Cosmo,
Thank you so much for the many photos and information about the sidestand and the mudguard.

Where did you manage to buy the PP01208? I've managed to find it online in Italy at the manufacturers. https://www.ufoplast.com/en/catalog/mx- ... ear-fender and I've found the UK importers list them but don't have stock https://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/ufo- ... 1-15w.html

I'll look into making a sidestand and mount to go on the frame, similar to yours. I'm happy enough using TIG and MIG welders, my main challenge will be cutting the bracket and U (however I've a sacrificial sidestand from a 3 1/2 which is already damaged so no great loss).
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

PS: that internet picture is also beautiful and shows what a Kanguro could become.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Hi Julian,
I got it from MD Racing. In fact they're very helpful and good for lots of generic enduro parts. I'm sure they can get stock eventually, just difficult right now. Also search online from Italy.
As for the sidestand U, any breaker should be able to provide a damaged threaded heavyweight one as a donor or use the 3 1/2 one. It's just all difficult right now with the lockdown.
Last edited by Cosmo on 10 Apr 2020 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Cosmo,
Good to know, and I'm in no rush for the rear mudguard as I'll have something that should enable the bike to pass the MoT (once the bike's ready and MoT's are viable again) and then need to apply for a UK registration which might take weeks or months. Plenty of time to sort out cosmetics, I reckon.

Thank you again

Julian
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

There was a copy of a manual for an X for sale recently on Ebay and the seller was kind enough to post photos of all the pages including the wiring diagram. So I grabbed some screen shots.
I have them on Flickr so hopefully this link will work

julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Thanks for sharing the link to the photos. Your post didn't quite format the link correctly so here's my attempt which shows the pages you managed to capture (about half of those in the manual, I think) and also some of presumably your Kanguro X https://www.flickr.com/photos/52732105@ ... 842291903/
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Well done that man :D
I had few attempts at editing the link but struggled so ended up with just the wiring diagram.
Yes that my Kanguro. All ready to go once we’re allowed.
Thanks
Dennis
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Thanks for the wiring diagram, that will help for future reference.
Your X1 looks nice with the Camel size round headlight - it's a good look!
Cosmo
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Cookie your bike looks great! Also great to see more Morinis being built with trail riding in mind :)
One day we will even be able to set up a Morini trail ride for Camels and Kanguros and Morini specials only!
Anybody interested? Set up a trail ride mailing list or something? I'm a TRF member and stick to legal lanes and sensible riding in line with my age and skill levels, I'm in Leicestershire and there seem to be two practice/training areas close to me. I'd be happy to talk to them about booking sessions etc.
Ok, when I'm sober I'll post something in the right bit of the forum.. :roll:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.