Wanted Camel 500 kick start

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
'It must be a .....'

Wanted Camel 500 kick start

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Yesterday my Camel 500 kick start lever (later steel type) snapped at the pivot.
Therefore seeking a kick start lever either in alloy (which is the same as the road bikes) or the steel version which is similar the K2, only the lever is slightly different.
Really anything that clears the foot rest would do.
Thanks in anticipation, Ian
rossguzzi

Re: Wanted Camel 500 kick start

Post by rossguzzi »

Hi Ian,
I know you want another one, but can it be welded and re chromed ?
'It must be a .....'

Hi Ross, see photos in the parts wanted section.
The strength of a repair is the issue, certainly it could be welded then drilled and pinned?
But meanwhile I can't ride the Camel

Many thanks, Ian
norbert

Post by norbert »

I once had the same problem with a K2 Kicker, that have the same joint-system (and as they are out of steel you can bend them, therefore a nice thing with retarded footpegs). The first atempt did not last long. Then we boored all the pin out and nearly to the bottom to give the new pin a chance to stay where he belongs. Then a litte bore from the side an everything well welded (not me). It worked for years.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Can't be a motorcyclist if you can't bump start a motorcycle!.
'It must be a .....'

I agree, yet the Morini Camel's rear wheel will usually lock and skid rather than turning the engine over, pulling the engine back against compression, long hills, being pushed etc occasionally works on a warm engine.
Perhaps I should put on a few stone?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

'It must be a .....' wrote:I agree, yet the Morini Camel's rear wheel will usually lock and skid rather than turning the engine over, pulling the engine back against compression, long hills, being pushed etc occasionally works on a warm engine.
Perhaps I should put on a few stone?
Quite right Ian, and bump starting a Camel on a muddy green lane is a bit of a challenge too. :roll: Glad I fitted an electric starter to mine :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Angelo63

Post by Angelo63 »

I suggest to re-build it. Drill a hole on the support where the pin has broken. The diameter must be 0.5 mm bigger than the pin diameter. See drawing D+0.5mm
Build a new pin on the lathe, as in the drawing.
Tolerances of the pin are those for a stable connection (note there are 0.02-0.04 mm more than the nominal diameter).
Very important the radius between the increased diameter and the external part of the pin that is at nominal diameter D.
Heat the support and push the pin into its hole as in the drawing at bottom. When cold the connection should be stable.
The montage must be as in the drawing to prevent breakage in the future: all the enlarged part of the pin must enter into the hole of the support!
Sorry for poor english. I hope it can be understood.

'It must be a .....'

Hi Angelo, many thanks for considering my kick starter problem and possible solutions.
Unfortunately the area where the hole needs to be drilled is very near the edge of the kick start boss/mount and really it would need to be a smaller rather than a larger diameter of the broken pivot pin.
I agree that there will be a lot of stress to any repair and it probably wouldn't last?

I have the boss (but unfortunately not the alloy lever) from a 500 road Morini which has the same kick start lever as early 500 Camels and later 350 road bikes.
Another possible solution would be to mount the later steel lever to the bottom of this boss with a suitable pin? See photos below

As I don't have these skills I will need to find a knowledgeable machinist who is willing to tackle the repair.

Ideally an alloy lever or something that would fit the earlier 500/350 boss would be the best solution; giving more peace of mind.

Again many thanks and enjoy your Camels, Ian
Attachments
Later steel kick start lever boss
Later steel kick start lever boss
Camel Kick Start (5).JPG (95.2 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
Earlier alloy lever boss
Earlier alloy lever boss
Camel & 350 500 Kick Start.JPG (142.38 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
later lever on earlier boss potential solution?
later lever on earlier boss potential solution?
Camel Kick Start solution.JPG (118.32 KiB) Viewed 5856 times