Swing arm chain guide

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Swing arm chain guide

Post by 3potjohn »

What have folk done about replacing the chain guide or guard which fits the top front of the swing arm on off-road bikes? Mine is showing early signs of wear so wanted something ready.
John
MickeyMoto

Re: Swing arm chain guide

Post by MickeyMoto »

I'm sure NLM used to stock the nylon part. Try Mdina...
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Sounds like a plan. Bike’s going nowhere anyway as sprocket is in Lincolnshire. Did tappets yesterday, minor adjustment only . A pleasure if it were not for lack of access. Damn the the airbox. Only 22 bolts and screws to get to the front rocker cover.
Have to get a better airfilter/box......
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Tried doing the shims on a 1200?
Ming

Post by Ming »

3potjohn wrote: 15 Aug 2021 17:13... Did tappets yesterday, minor adjustment only . A pleasure if it were not for lack of access....
Kanguro presumably? I found no need for extra access. Cut down a hex head key for rocker box removal and then fiddle a bit. Considering the amount of distance covered by most of the smaller morinis, and the amount of adjustment usually (not) required, it has never been a problem worth worrying about.
Ming

Post by Ming »

3potjohn wrote: 15 Aug 2021 17:13... Did tappets yesterday, minor adjustment only . A pleasure if it were not for lack of access....
Kanguro presumably? I found no need for extra access. Cut down a hex head key for rocker box removal and then fiddle a bit. Considering the amount of distance covered by most of the smaller morinis, and the amount of adjustment usually (not) required, it has never been a problem worth worrying about.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

No not a Kanguro but its biggest brother a Coguaro. I tried a cut down allen key but the airbox is just too close, unless you cut off so much key there isn't enough to get into the bolt.I have only managed around 4.5Km in a year and they were checked back then. That’s done now though so not likely to need revisiting .
Usual format is the front airbox retaining nut on the bolt through the frame is very close to wiring and the CDI unit. If you don’t evostick the nut into the spanner it falls out, down and into the belly pan. All such manouevers require spark plugs to be be in place. My late uncle related the tale of dropping a gudgeon pin circlip into a 12 ish cylinder aero engine at RR in Derby so am careful not to repeat anything like it.
John
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I use a hex bit from a 1/2 drive set. The top end takes a 10mm spanner and is large enough to be spun with your fingers.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

I can highly recomend this 1/4 " "Mini-Ratsche" from Wera. It´s very good quality, not cheap, but worth each penny.

The hex bits enter directly and with an adaptor you can une "nuts" (that´s how we call them). I´ve solderd a 6mm one, that I never use, in the old sparkplug-tool. With this you can even get out the rear plug of a camel 501 without trouble. And it´s very nice for travelling. Less than 9 cm long. The Ratsche has 72 teeth (if i remember well), so working where nearly is no space at all :wink: It´s called "Wera Zyklop Mini".
In the last 5 years it has become one of my most apreciated tools.
k-20210820_233522.jpg
k-20210820_233522.jpg (89.51 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The airbox is only a cm above the rear end of the front rocker cover at best. Needs some sort of dimple or groove in the underside. Anyway done for now....or ever.....
John