Carburettor for 175 Turismo

Singles built before the Lambertini era
jonjim

Carburettor for 175 Turismo

Post by jonjim »

Hi everyone I've just joined the group and am looking for some help & advice ! I'm just starting work on restoring to running order a 175 Turismo that I bought in northern Italy a couple of years ago. According to the insurance document it wears it's not been in road use since 1972 so I might be about to get one or two surprises. The first obvious one is that the carb fitted to this bike is a Zenith (18mm diameter) the like of which I have never seen before. It's a stub-fitting carb with the float chamber integral with the carb body; the mixture volume/strength is (orthodoxly) regulated with a slide but there is no needle (or provision for one to be fitted). Can this be the original fitment for this bike I wonder ? I imagine getting spares for a Zenith like this is going to be impossible so is it a better bet to find an equivalent size Dell orto ? Has anyone out there seen a Turismo 175 with a Zenith carb ?
morinipete

Re: Carburettor for 175 Turismo

Post by morinipete »

Hi, a Zenith Carb is certainly not correct. Back then if you didn't fit 100% Italian parts it was probably a hanging offence.

There are a lot of 175 owners in the club (I've got a Turismo myself as well as 2 others) and members have access to spares manuals, service notes, etc (actually done by me :) ). Join and you'll find the magazine a good source of info too.

Pete
jonjim

Post by jonjim »

Thanks Pete for speed of response & the benefit of your knowledge. Thanks too for your advice to join the Club. I have in the past been a member of it and found it helpful but my interest in Morinis today is only for the old single cylinder models and a few years back everyone in the Club seemed (understandably) focussed on the exciting new models that were being launched. I'm glad you seem to say that you're catering now for people like myself because there seems to be a dearth of information available in the UK about the singles . On average, how many pages per issue of A Tutto Gas are about the singles I wonder ? I 'll think about rejoining but hopefully this forum will give me the opportunity to converse with like-minded Morini owners ?
A further question : does anyone know the "correct" tank paintwork scheme for the early 175 Turismo or can you point me in the direction of pictures which show it ? My tank's a mess !
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Jonjim, and welcome to the Forum.

Even the club calendar features the old Morini!

The cover of the 2010 edition had a 175, 350 and 1200 parked up at a club meeting (actually Berks, Bucks and Oxon) and signed by Lambertini... The 175 was in good original condition, as well - used to run around the country (and featured on the Crofton run last year).

The 2011 edition will similarly feature bikes from all three eras - it looks like they're all collectors pieces now (although, thankfully most of them are ridden!)

Good luck with the restoration,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Emmohaswheelsagain

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi JonJim,

I hope your restoration goes well. The forum will give you plenty of advice and help and because we are Morini owners it will be given free without obligation. In answer to your question about ATG it is true that we struggle to secure as much copy as we would like to fill our club magazine. Whilst V twins dominate the club, the pages in ATG are open to all and that includes you. Dave Hunter (also owner of a Morini single) had part one of his story published in the last issue of ATG and through this many owners of singles (including you if you join) will share his experience which will assist them in their own struggles to restore or just maintain a Morini single on the road. Clubs are you see about sharing.

Safe Riding

Paul
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

The carb you need is a Dell'Orto UBF 18 but jetting, slide, etc changed over the years. Stub fitting is the same spacing as used by Amal so a cheap Concentric is an easy way to experiment (otherwise ebay.it have plenty of UBFs). As with jetting colour changed by year and series. There's plenty of knowledge in the club of how to identify these. A lot were just a flat blood red colour, but there was a series with a red flash over black on the tank, and one with a purple flash over black on the tnak and front mudguard as well.

As Emmo (Paul) says the magazine is a product of the club, not produced for it. I've done loads of articles on singles in the past but as people have probably heard too much from me already it would be better to get future articles from others (though I will be doing a rebuild article at some time in the future as I'm doing a 175 (Tresette) and 250 (Settebelllo) at the same time some time soon - work permitting !).

Cheers

Pete
adrian650

Post by adrian650 »

Hi,

Latest ATG will have (must be about to be delivered to members' mats any day now) 2nd part of 175 rebuild article.

As Paul and Pete have said, the magazine is member-driven and any contributions welcomed. As the writer of a blog on rebuilding a Kanguro and being the ATG editor I certainly understand the tension between membership of a club and the availability of on-line resources. This and other forums will generate advice but the source is rather unknown. If you rejoin the club and meet Robert, Paul and Arthur, and other 'singles' and hear their advice you can judge the advice in relation to their machines and what else you learn about them.

I appreciate that the MRC membership is yet another outlay but there is an avalanche effect where interest and activity generate more action. Your subscription will help pay for the web hosting too!

Hope to see you soon,

Adrian (ATG editor)