Corsaro Veloce 125 Frame Numbers...?

Singles built before the Lambertini era
huskynox

Corsaro Veloce 125 Frame Numbers...?

Post by huskynox »

Hello. This is my first post on the site. I own several Italian Vintage single cylinder motorbikes, but have never owned a Moto Morini. I'm currently looking at buying a '63 Corsaro Veloce 125 from a local guy, but have no idea how to tell if it's real or not. The bike is black with white striping. I think most are red....?

I know it has the correct tank with the offset gas filler and vent tube, the correct front fender, and the larger UB20 Dellorto carb, but these are all easily bolted on items.

Is there any official way to tell by frame numbers or engine numbers? The engine has a couple of letters/numbers stamped near the lower frame mount, along with "moto morini", but I didn't write them down.

Please help.

Thank you.
corsaro chris

Re: Corsaro Veloce 125 Frame Numbers...?

Post by corsaro chris »

I don't know about frame numbers but page 128 of Clarkes' definative book on Morini (Moto Morini, an Italian Story) shows the Veloce on a show stand in black with a white triangular flash on the side of the tank. A larger colour photo has the bike in red, but still with a black / white tank-side flash.

The Dutch site has some info on frame numbers - see http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/framenumbers.html and go to 'models' and then Corsaro. Unless you do Dutch, choose English!

Good hunting!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
huskynox

Post by huskynox »

Thanks CC. I'll have to pick the book up.

I still don't see any information on the Veloce's for the late 50's and early 60's...?

I can usually find anything on the web, but this Moto Morini business is very tough! There doesn't seem to be many owners in the USA either. :?
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

Hi,

Moto Morini frame and engine (if they had them) numbers were still pretty vague guides as to dates, etc, even into the 80s if that's any consulation......................

I have super detailed information on the County model (not much use to you) but to be honest as with most Morini models all the bits from all the variations are interchangeable anyway, so unless you're an originality freak I wouldn't be too worried. The Club can provide generic parts and sevice books by the way. JOIN !

Interestingly, also, with the Corsaro models there seems to be very little variation in price between them, in Italy, condition being the main decider for price (with the 175 series, 'model', has a far bigger influence).

As Chris says there are a few books around so just go by the pictures and browse the internet for photos. When in doubt paint it red !

Pete
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

Sorry, I realise I didn't really answer your question there, but as I remember......................on Corsaros there are no letters of recognition, just numbers, which gve a guide to a 'rough' year of manufacture and sequence. Different models may have been built in batches (so different blocks of numbers 'should' indicate a certain model), but as I said it's all a bit vague. If your engie/frame has a clearly stamped * after it, this denaotes 5 speed, but I think yours would be several years too early for that.

As an extremey rough guide to what is a 'desirable' Corsaro, look for a bulge on the left hand side engine case, denoting remote points (there'll be wires comng out !). If the left case is just plain, it means the pionts are on the righthand end of the crank, and the model a bit less ordinary.

Anyway that's all I can offer. Pitty its not a 175, I could go on for pages...........................

Pete
huskynox

Post by huskynox »

Thanks guys for the responses. I did pick the bike up. It's missing the correct seat and shocks, but everything else looks correct (front fender, gas tank, motor, chain guard). The engine has a "E" stamped on it near the lower part of the front frame tube. The frame number is stamped as "E17641" Does this mean anything?

Thanks again!