1959 125 Corsaro kickstart problems.

Singles built before the Lambertini era
hotfoothowell

1959 125 Corsaro kickstart problems.

Post by hotfoothowell »

Yesterday, the kickstart suddenly failed to engage with the engine. On removing the clutch casing, no fault could be found, and the lot was reassembled. Now, the return spring (which was intact) fails to work, and I can only get limited movement on the cranking process, maximum 90 degrees. It is as if the spring needs to be wound up like an old clock, but even then, it doesn't really explain why a round ratchet mechanism should have such a limited amount of travel. Any suggestions for proper reassembly, please?
morini500dave

Re: 1959 125 Corsaro kickstart problems.

Post by morini500dave »

Hi.
I do remember having to wind the spring a little,but can't remember by how much,as the spring was in tention it look me a few attemptsto get the asssembly and cover back on to the engine without the lot springing apart!
Not much help I'm afraid.

Dave.
JohnT

Re: 1959 125 Corsaro kickstart problems.

Post by JohnT »

I would guess you have sorted this by now.

But for information if you have not noticed. The pawl/ratchet mechanism of the kickstart projects beyond the gear with which it engages. This projection fits into an hardened circular ring that is bolted to the casing. The internal circle of the hardened ring is not circular, it has a larger segment from about 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock. The pawl fits into this and this appears to limit the circular movement of the kick start. I believe it is easy to overlook this positioning of the pawl within the correct part of the circular ring which results in the kickstart not being able to function correctly.

The above only really becomes clear if you have the mechanism out of the primary drive case and you are able to look at the various bits.