175 Turismo oil feed to rocker box

Singles built before the Lambertini era
jonjim

175 Turismo oil feed to rocker box

Post by jonjim »

Another technical query from me with the untried 175 Turismo : having succeeded in cleaning both oil filters, putting it back together and achieved a ridable bike
I'm getting a lot of oily smoke in the exhaust.To the extent that black oil drips out of the exhaust/head joint nut once the engine has warmed up.
My first thought is piston rings but there's plenty of compression to kick through on the kickstarter; but having removed the spark plug there's certainly excess oil on top of the piston. How much lubrication is it normal to expect getting up to the rocker box ? On mine it seems to be abundant : at tickover it dribbles out of the ''standpipe'' between the rocker shafts, and when you rev the engine it spurts out. Is this correct for this engine ? Do the valve guides have stem seals fitted ?
Before I embark on a stripdown I'd like to get the opinion and advice of those who know , please !
Can anyone tell me the recommended ignition timing setting for this model please?
Thanks in anticipation.
tobydmv

Re: 175 Turismo oil feed to rocker box

Post by tobydmv »

Sounds like a worn exhaust valve guide. Pull the head and check the tolerance between valve and guide. You can guess the tolerance by removing the valve spring and collets. Then put the valve in the guide and try to wiggle it back and forth. If it rattles then the guide is worn and will need replacement. If theres no play its in good shape. You can find a manual here http://www.rpw.it/Documentazione.htm
jonjim

Re: 175 Turismo oil feed to rocker box

Post by jonjim »

Thanks tobydmv for your opinion and advice on both my recent(ish) appeals for help. I 'll follow your suggestion on checking ex. valve guide wear.
I discovered that the oil filter cover screws are M6 thread and these types of fasteners are commonly used in automotive application for holding the brake discs (rotors) onto the hubs of Peugeot/Citroen cars, maybe other makes too. They might need cutting down a bit for use on Morinis. If anyone else on this forum has a need for any I'll willingly send them some because I ended up with more than I need.
I too have a late 1960s 250Gti awaiting restoration so we may eventually be able to exchange tales of woe & disaster !
This forum seems a lonely place - not necessarily a bad thing I suppose because one possibility for this lack of activity is that all the members are perpetually off riding their pre V Twin bikes instead of pontificating about them ? Or could it be that , normally, these bikes never break down...