Is this section still breathing?

Singles built before the Lambertini era
eabergman

Is this section still breathing?

Post by eabergman »

I just took delivery of a 1957 175GT and was hoping to find some people here who know a bit about them. I was surprised to see that it's been silent for over a year.

Eric
Steve Brown

Re: Is this section still breathing?

Post by Steve Brown »

It's still working if you post some content! Obviously there are far fewer of these bikes around, particularly outside of Italy. However, with the popularity of Moto Giro and spin off events they may become slightly more common here.
Another explanation for lack of posts is that the quality and reliability of these bikes is such that no one has any trouble with them? Possibly.
I for one am interested to hear/read about them and would like to get my hands on one at some point, especially an enduro model. So I look in here for clues as to what's available and what works etc.
So get posting and you'll probably get a response or three. :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
eabergman

Post by eabergman »

Hi Steve,

Well, I will post here as I get to know the 175GT and hopefully we can stir up some discussion and help each other a bit.

First question, not trying to start a dreaded oil thread, but would I be wrong to use a high-quality 20W-50 mineral oil in this? I'm trying to standardize all my old motos on Mobil 1 motorcycle oil in that weight.

Eric
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Eric, no you wouldn't be wrong at all. It's a grand way to get a forum going too 8)
Are you in the US/Canada or UK? Not important as the oil works there too, just like to know if these bikes are becoming less rare where I am!
eabergman

Post by eabergman »

I'm in Golden, Colorado, Steve. Not sure why my location doesn't appear on my posts. The 1950s-era Moto Morinis are very rare here. Most of the "Moto Giro" type bikes in the US were brought in from Italy in containers by collectors like Michael Harper-Smith. He's been selling them periodically on eBay for many years. There was a guy in Denver, Colorado named Jim Dillard who also brought a lot of small motos over but he tended to keep them and in the last years before his death he opened a very impressive personal museum. When I decided recently that I wanted to look for a 175 I knew the best chance was to call Harper-Smith and see if he had one he'd be willing to sell. He had two 175GTs evidently and felt he could let one go. I almost bought a 175 from Jim Dillard, or more accurately, his estate, some years ago, but the people handling the estate were, shall we say, less than straight-forward and I backed away.

I used to deal with North Leicester Motors when I was running a 3-1/2 and a Camel 501. I never talked to Stuart about support for the older singles. Is that outfit that took over from him a good source of parts for a 175? If not, who is?

Eric
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I can't really advise about the spares situation for these older bikes-no experience. Mdona took over everything Morini (apart from complete replacement ignition systems) so should be worth an email to them. Or practice your Italian and surf the web in Italy!
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Not a Morini, but I run my 1957 Gilera 175 'Sport' on Silkolene Mineral 20w-50 multigrade. OK so far after 2 years.
eabergman

Post by eabergman »

Steve, I will certainly check with Mdina to see what they may have. I have actually been thinking about doing some Italian lessons to make access to resources in Italy a bit easier. I find I can suss my way through a good bit of the Italian language manuals. With some knowledge of the basic grammar and vocabulary it would get a lot better. The best advice I ever heard about learning a language is to take a native-speaker for a lover, but I'm old enough to find that prospect tiring more than exciting. And my wife would probably take a dim view.

72degrees, have you had the opportunity to compare your Gilera and a Morini?

Eric
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

eabergman wrote: 72degrees, have you had the opportunity to compare your Gilera and a Morini?

Eric
Only by looking at Morini 175s at MRC events. I have never ridden one. From specification, road test reports, etc. I imagine they have slightly more power than the Gileras of the same era. Similar engineering though.