First Ride

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
ShaunR

First Ride

Post by ShaunR »

Well, well that was an experience. First good ride, about 3 hrs. That engine is a monster, torque and torque. Brilliant supermoto-like handling. Comfortable, a bit bouncy at times but that can be dialled out. Great noise, biblical noise. Only issue is stalling and lumpiness in low gears and revs. I think there is probably a way to deal with both. It seems happier once you get into 3rd. The stalling is a bit weird, might be me, but did it 3 times in low revs.
corsaro chris

Re: First Ride

Post by corsaro chris »

Shaun; should pull like a train off idle once the engine is warm (I've fallen off mine when I didn't let it warm above 40 celcius before pulling away...).

Glad you like it though - I'm on my second now, and still enjoying the ride after seven years (time flies when you're enjoying the ride - might even be a title and story there?)

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
ShaunR

Post by ShaunR »

Oh yes, he pulls like a train alright but the first stalling incident was probably 20 miles into the ride. I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Just adjust and make sure he is given a little Rev when the clutch is pulled in. I will get used to it. Otherwise everything is golden. I'm going to have a look at the suspension settings and he is booked for a major service before I go to Europe in September. Couldn't be more pleased really. First bike I have given a name to: meet, Mr Anderson.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.91 KiB) Viewed 12713 times
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Pleased you like my old GP ... Still haven't picked up your MV yet from Bennets as busy/waiting on them to fit new tyres etc.
Suspension was setup soft for the back roads around North Yorkshire dales as I liked it MX style and possibly explained why it can get a wobble when flat out in a motorway
When the bike was last in at NLM (north Leicester motorcycles) they said something about the lambda not being connected up to the ECU ... Get Matt to check it as it may explain poor fueling at low speed
I suffered with the engine cutting for a while then rode around it by not fully closing the throttle coming into junctions ... Fault seemed to be reduced when it was services once at Moto Strada as I think ther reset the TPS
I always had planned to take the bike to BSD in Peterborough to have the ECU remapped to smooth all this out but never got around to it and just rode round any issues
Before getting on European motorways get the suspension firmed up ... I had it setup different and for long high speed stuff it needs firming up ..
Engine may be a few HP down on the modern Multisrtada but the usable torque and the exhaust note is mint ... How do you think it compares? If the MV proves to be to gutless after the GP it was thinking to go the Multistrada route
ShaunR

Post by ShaunR »

I have him booked in to Bennetts before I go to Europe in September but in the meantime I think I can deal with the stalling thing. Like you said keep a bit of throttle on and all will be fine. He compares to the Multistrada pretty well in terms of handling and riding position but the Multi is a much heavier proposition. I don't think you will find the MV gutless but it is much more of an upright sportsbike. Anyway, I am very smitten with the whole package, it feels like a proper big bike free from electronics and faff. I'll keep you updated on my progress.
Red S

Post by Red S »

I found warming it up to 75 degrees before riding made all the difference.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Glad to hear that ... MV picked up and in garage. Not had a chance to try it yet ... Will go to Oliver's Mout Sunday to watch the bike racing
ShaunR

Post by ShaunR »

Pity I can't make it but let me know how you go on.